Author Topic: Deacon's Bench...what is a FMV?  (Read 3416 times)

BrianandBlanca

• View Profile
Deacon's Bench...what is a FMV?
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,
 New member here. I have a deacon's Bench that has been sitting around for quite some time now. I had plans of refinishing it but as often is the case, life got in the way of those plans so now I am just trying to clear out this and some of the other clutter. I figured I could spend a week researching the FMV (fair market value) of this piece of could just come here and ask the experts :D
 Any background info would be nice as well. if more pics are needed just let me know.
Thanks in advance,
 B and B

mart

• View Profile
Re: Deacon's Bench...what is a FMV?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »
Can you take the cushion off if it isn`t attached,  and we need to see the underside as well as the feet !!  Looks like someone has already tried to refinish it which has removed any potential value it may have had !! I don`t think its particularly old but can tell more with additional pics.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »
I'd like to see more pics too , (& maybe in a bit brighter light?) if possible B&B ...

Like mart sez , if the cushion can be removed .... bottom line for me on this one is the question of the general solidity of the item (does it have creaky joints or a case of the shimmies , when sat upon , etc) as well as knowing how the frame is held together/designed .... I'd @ least clean up the wood & give it a thin coating of oil , wax , or the quickly applied wood polish of your choice ... dirty & cheap method (since you're seeming like it's going on sale) ... if it's safe to sit on that's the big plus !

BrianandBlanca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:55 am »
Thanks for the quick reply!. To address some of the questions...in it's current state it is not safe for use. It does have a bad case of the 'shimmies' and the arms are coming loose at the joints. I'm not sure if it's a result of age/abuse  or the fact that it looks like who ever stripped the paint used a chemical stripper and as a result  a lot of the joints are now loose. Probably a combination of the two.  The one front leg looks like it was made out of a laminated  piece of wood (you can see the joint line indicated by the arrow in one of the pics). Unfortunately on the bottom section of that leg the front section has fallen off. I realize that the real 'antique' potential of this piece is long gone. My 'plan' was to create a template of the good front leg and use my father's wood shop to create the missing piece from the other leg. IMO, to be functional, this piece would have to be carefully dis-assembled, cleaned up and reassembled with all the loose/broken joints reglued. joints.

Heres' some more pics..

BrianandBlanca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:33 am »
...and some more pics. You can see in the one pic that the arm on the broken leg has come loose at the joint and has to be repaired. Fortunately my father is a very talented craftsman when it comes to wood and has a full wood shop with every tool I would need to fully repair this. I'm just not sure if it's worth the time and effort...to me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:57:34 am by BrianandBlanca »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:54 am »
I personally would not go to the expense, time and trouble on this bench !!  At best, if perfect condition, you might get $100.to $125.  The vaguely gothic back, would indicate to me mid 40`s revival !!  These are not particularly popular pieces of furniture except if they can be used on a porch or veranda !!  I would sell it as is and let someone else take on the repairs which sound extensive !!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:10:03 pm »
My thoughts after seeing & hearing more B&B , is to suggest that it would be possible to repair this little item for a lower cost ; considering that there appears to have been chemical 'burning' during the last refinishing attempt which sounds as if may have added to loosing of its' joints (dissolved/penetrated  the glue) , as well as various non-original repairs & such .... perhaps it might just be best to give it a finish like the one that was partially removed (white paint) , after glueing & screwing & filling & sand job .

It could also be given a 'shabby/chic' treatment (i.e. painted 'antiqueing') for the 'country-kitch-en' croud , or for use out on the porch .... @ least you'd have the satisfaction of making it usable again , with a value sim to what mart has stated !

That's just 2 cents worth from me .... I suspect that perhaps some 'big-uns' caused the breaks & such along its' way to now , or perhaps a gaggle of jumping kids ....

I'd say .... if you been aching for a project , you've got a bingo , BrianandBlanca !

BrianandBlanca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:22 am »
Thank you for your responses! Not sure what I am going to do with it. My wife says "Keep it" because she would like a little project to do....buuttt... based on experience, that's code for.. " I'd like another little project for you to do once you have all you other projects done... "  :o 
thing is I could put it back in the basement and it would get forgotten for another 10 yrs! LOL  Maybe I'll just put it down there, wait a month, and then covertly sell it...  :P

thanks again for your help guys!
BnB

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:40 am »
If it were me and I had a place to use it,, I would reglue the joints, paint it and use it on a deck, patio or porch !! Or do the same and sell it as such,, that would be the least trouble, would make it at least good enough to sell without much cash outlay or time on your part !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:09:16 am »
I personally would repair to safe and use it!  Keep it simply as is or shabby it up!!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!