Author Topic: Antique Ford Auto Battery Charger  (Read 2427 times)

switzersweet

• View Profile
Antique Ford Auto Battery Charger
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:34 am »
just wondering if anyone is familiar with these and if there is a market for them.I have yet to find one similar online.

I am trying to get pics posted :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:05:39 am by switzersweet »

switzersweet

• View Profile
Re: Antique Ford Auto Battery Charger
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:31 am »
hoping this works

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »
Neat !! I am sure you can find a market since it has Ford on it !!  6 and 12 volt ?  Does it work ??

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »
Cool little batt charger , ss !

The electrics look a bit scary & do need some cleaning (even just a dust-off with compressed air would help) .

As a word to the wise - I'd be 100% certain to 'drain' that big capacitor (by grounding it , when the unit is NOT 'plugged in') every time after it has been 'plugged in'/powered up' , prior to messing with/touching/cleaning the interior of your item !
I'd first test all circuits with no power (120vac) , to be certain that they have not been grounded/shorted out !

I'll comment that it might just be an item that a Ford fan would like to have , esp if it's a working unit !

Dust & excessive 'funk' are not desirable , when it comes to electric items & will affect it's 'resale' value , IMO .

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:44 am »
Looks like a 1950s 6 Volt charger. It looks pretty roached from here. I doubt in that condition that it's worth more than $40 as it sits. If you don't know much about electronics, DO NOT TOUCH THOSE CAPACITORS!

They can store energy for decades. I'm a musician that's owned and played his fair share of vintage amps. Many a time have the words "son of a (I forgot the rest)" come out of my mouth and other's too when trying to get an old attic find working again.

More than likely Ford just slapped their name on someone else's charger and sold it through the dealerships to customers. It's a cool find, and all cleaned up and working, I could see a lot of guys being really into that for their classic Ford. Knowing if it's a 12V/6V or just a six volt on it's own will help determine the age.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

switzersweet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »
Thank you all. I will find someone who can clean it up and mess with it.I haven't dared touching anything so far. appreciate all the information......