Author Topic: "Queen" Vib. Shuttle Treadle Sewing Machine  (Read 5137 times)

emerald66109

• View Profile
"Queen" Vib. Shuttle Treadle Sewing Machine
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »
I have acquired a "Queen" vib. shuttle treadle sewing machine.  I have tried the internet search with no real information except that it might of been made by the White Sewing Co.  I called Husqvarnia/Viking/White Co and they did not have any info for me.  I have seen 1 "Queen" on EBay but it had a fiddle base and this one is rectangle.  I am hoping someone might shed some light on when and who manufactured this machine.  The serial number is 118712.  A plate on the inside states "Patent June 29, 1897".  

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:32:32 am by emerald66109 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: "Queen" Vib. Shuttle Treadle Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:28 pm »
Can you post a pic please !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »
Have you contacted ISMACS? http://www.ismacs.net/home.html They have seen 'em all and I bet they can give you a quick answer.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »
I came across a New Queen and another the Home Queen, but was wondering if this might be yours as you just mentioned "Queen"

http://home.comcast.net/~loisfrankel/sewmach.htm

"Queen. A transverse shuttle hand-crank. Thanks to Alan Quinn for his information and for the needle-clamp that allowed me to get this machine sewing. Alan has a Harris machine on his site that is very similar to my Queen, and probably made by the same German manufacturer - Alan thinks it's Vesta. I also have a rear view."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »
It looks like the wheel of the Queen handcrank is built to function as a treadle as well. See that 'groove' on the righthand side of the wheel of the handcrank? If I'm not mistaken a belt could go there. Some machines were designed as a 'head' that could be placed into a treadle cabinet or could serve as a portable handcrank.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

emerald66109

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »
Sapphire,

The picture you posted is very similar to the machine that I have.  Do you have any other information on yours like the manufacturer, year,  etc. to head me in the right direction?

emerald66109

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion regarding the website ISMACS.NET, I'll go there next. 

Where Sapphire's machine sits in a case, my machine has a cabinet which when the lid to the cabinet opens the machine is pulled up and when it is lowered the machine retracts back into the cabinet belly.  It is a treadle model and I couldn't really tell, but I think mine is just a little larger then hers. There is no option for a hand crank, and the decals look pretty much spot on.

I do appreciate the help. THANKS!!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Emerald, that's not my machine  ;) Just did some searching and came up with that one. The others as I mentioned had more than just 'Queen'  in their name, so thought it just might be the same or similar to yours.

Found a bit on Vesta, which according the previous link I found is 'believed' to be the maker

http://www.sewalot.com/vesta%20sewing%20machines.htm

emerald66109

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:34:25 am »
I have added a picture of the Queen Sewing Machine.