Author Topic: Silver Plated Tea Pot? Or Something?  (Read 2452 times)

aDawn

Silver Plated Tea Pot? Or Something?
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:45:19 am »
Greetings all!

First off, I am new to this site so if there's something I'm forgetting and/or not doing right just let me know! I'm thankful for any and all help/info I can get as I'm a new collector and very unlearned in the art :)

I've had this silver plated teapot for about a year now and although I've tried to research online I have come up with a whole lot of nothing...I don't know if it's old. I don't even know if it's a teapot! It's maybe 5 inches tall and has a hinged lid. It's got a pretty floral design all around the middle and the feet are little mustached men with headdresses. The feet are my favorite part  :D The bottom says:

TAUNTON
          SILVER PLATE CO.
            TRIPLE PLATE

I bought it at a garage sale for $2.00 so I won't be terribly disappointed if it's not worth much. I really would like to know the age or history of it though. Also the last picture shows some white "stuff." What is it and how do I safely remove it. I know...I'm clueless :P

Thanks again for any info and I hope to see you around the forums!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:53:52 am by aDawn »

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
Re: Silver Plated Tea Pot? Or Something?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:27 am »
Great Piece! Looks like a creamer or milk pot. The white stuff is from someone trying to clean it. Just this piece alone I would say about $30 so it looks like your $2 investment has profit in it!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »
Taunton Silverplate operated in Taunton Mass in the mid 1800s. The latest date I could find was 1878. But they may have been around longer. I would say that you got a great buy.

Here is an interesting discussion about the history
http://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum26/HTML/001877.html

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:13 pm »
What are dimensions?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

aDawn

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:51 am »
     Hey thanks everyone! I'm happy to hear it's not junk :)

What are dimensions?

: I don't have a measuring tape handy but it's about 5 inches tall and about 3 inches at the widest point around the bottom. If I can find my ruler I'll give you a more accurate measurement.

Thanks for the forum link, frogpatch!  Interesting...
      So now that I know what it is, should I just leave it as is? Is there a way to get that white stuff off of it?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »
Assuming you will polish it,, use Wrights silver cream and polish it well !!  Then soap, soft cloth and warm water to wash and remove the residue in the tiny crevices !! Buff with soft cloth to shine !!

aDawn

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »
Alright :) Once again thanks for the info.

Also, is the consensus that it's worth about $30.00 then?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:09:10 am »
I think its a cream jug !! Has a bit of an art deco look to it just from design !! I like it !! Could go slightly higher but $30. is right in the ballpark !!

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:57:24 am »
the goodwill in my city would sell this for 60 dollars. they are starting to price retail now. they had a pack of silver plated spoons for 75. ridiculous

aDawn

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 04:39:15 pm »
Polishing it is ok, right? It won't retract from the value? I want to see what it looks like cleaned up. When I bought it there were spider webs inside and it was in a box of junk! I think it deserves to be cleaned up if that's okay.

I love that it's that old. It's interesting to think what it may have seen throughout it's life...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »
Tarnish will eat away at the silverplate over time !! Silver was meant to be polished and used !!  Not to sit with a dark nasty looking tarnish on it !! These were items that were on dining tables,, would you use one that looked dirty ?? Polish it and wash it and buff it a little and you will be surprised at the difference !!