Author Topic: Is this an old teapot?  (Read 5228 times)

Avenger

• View Profile
Is this an old teapot?
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »
My grandparents had this item in their house for as long as my father could remember.  It may have come with them from Europe but I am not sure.  Is it an old teapot?  Or maybe it is a creamer?  It has maker marks "CD" and an "R"(date mark??) stamped on the bottom and on the lid.  The marks make me think it is English from my search around the web.  It really looks crude to me.  It may be just metal or could it be silver plate?  I'm really interested just for my own curiosity as I wouldn't part with it.

Sorry that the pictures are a bit fuzzy.  I'll rip out my DSLR with flash if anyone wishes to see better ones.

mfrog

• View Profile
Re: Is this an old teapot?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »
Looks like a teapot but given that you didn't indicate a size, there is nothing else to reference scale so it's hard to tell.  Also need a picture of the marks, it's impossible to know date or maker unless we see the marks.

Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:20:42 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!  It is small, about 8.5 inches in length from the handle to the tip of the spout.  I'm breaking out the flash now and recharging the batteries in order to get some better pictures.  I'll get a picture of the marks too.  What surprised me is that it is plain looking compared to examples I've seen on the web.  Usually items like this have fancy curves, etc from what I have seen.

Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:27 pm »
Here is a picture of the marks (Looks like a "CD" and a fancy "R") as well as a pic along with a 12 inch ruler for scale. 

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:11:11 pm »
My first impression was of a mark meant to 'sim' a Gus Akerblom .... but that's prob not correct .

I appears , from your posted images , that there are 2 'rings' mounted on the handle that are perhaps bakelite (which , if they are , would be a start on dating your little item) ?

If all else fails , maybe try posting on the www.925-2000.com forum , as those folks are very hip-deep on such ....

Looks more like a choc pot that a tea , to me ...
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »
Would not be coffee, or tea and likely not chocolate for the same reasons,,tea leaves, coffee, and chocolate would settle to the bottom after a few minutes of being made,, pour spout is at the bottom of the pot not at the top which would be correct for those !!  This would more likely be for milk, cream ect !! Cream goes to the top, milk at the bottom normally but  after being stirred would not separate for a longer period !!

Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
It does seem too small to be a teapot and what you say makes sense.   Do you think those hallmarks are English?  I tried to find that "R" as a date code on the online encyclopedia but haven't found one with that elongated hook in the middle like this one has.  I added a post on that 925 1000 board that the previous poster mentioned so maybe I'll get a reply abt. the hallmark.  Oh yes, I think those brown rings are made of wood.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:10:11 pm »
The file size on your pics are too big for me to enlarge !! So all I see are a couple of dots !! I am on dial up !!  Can you use your macro setting and get a better close up with smaller file size ?

Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:24:40 pm »
Does this size help?  I reduced the file size a lot.  If not I'll have to find my old point and shoot and see if it has a macro mode.  I also added a pic of some hallmarks on the lid but they are too faint for me to make out.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »
To me it looks like a George III era drum style teapot. Tea at that time was so expensive and taxed so high that teapots were generally small in size.

Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 09:00:08 pm »
To me it looks like a George III era drum style teapot. Tea at that time was so expensive and taxed so high that teapots were generally small in size.

Wow, I think you are right.  Before you mentioned this I couldn't find an item like this with the same shape.  Now that I searched for "George III teapot", I found a number of examples that have the same spout in the same location and a similiar lid with the beaded decoration.  And the overall shape is similiar. I still can't find that "R" of the year code in the online encyclopedia though.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:18 am »
My 1st though was an oil can ....... like this one.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:49:56 am »
That would be some really nasty tea unless poured through a strainer !!  I think thats the correct style/ timeline !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:04:55 pm »
I think I just found your teapot for $500-$650. in my antique book. Check Fredrick Elkington, London 1864. The handle is ivory which could make a huge difference, but yours could be a copy or a less exspensive verison.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:28 am »
Am I missing it?  Was the height indicated?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!