Author Topic: Do You Know This Mysterious Old Lady & The Artist?  (Read 1174 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Do You Know This Mysterious Old Lady & The Artist?
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »
OK, here we go again, I'm stumped as usual with my unusual finds. I purchased this unusual hand made Clay Statue / Figurine the other day and just had to bump it up to the top of my who, what, when, where, why and any other "w" queue".

She looks familiar but I just can't place her. She is made of red clay that has not been kiln fired, I think. She is hand molded with clay and has a hollow center and is also hand painted.

She is about 11 inches long and is very heavy in clay weight, not visually. She weighs a little over 3 pounds. She has had a rough going it seems as her hat is ripped (broken) and her left hand has a broken finger. I think the old lady is signed with initials just under her right arm on her dress although I'm not sure what the initials are. Perhaps "HI", "IT", "FT", "HT", "HF" or "HIL", just a guess.

The Chair she is sitting on seems old too. It is also hand made of metal, probably wicker, brass and a tin seat. It's my guess that both the lady and the chair are of the same time period (vintage) which I think would be Mid Century give or take a few. The chair may have been made for her or available for the artist when she was made. I think the artist is excellent and did a great job with her.

Well, the usual types of questions come to mind. Does anyone recognize who this old lady is, when she may have been made, who made her and perhaps a ball park value even with the broken hat and finger?

The chair may give some clues to the questions and the outfit the old lady is wearing including the hat, brooch, earrings, dress and shoes.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="711" height="1665" border="0

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Do You Know This Mysterious Old Lady & The Artist?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
It may be depicting a member of the Red Hat Society. They wear red hats with purple dresses.

More info at http://www.redhatsociety.com

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:51:36 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:53:12 pm »
Yepper  Red Hat Society! 
http://www.redhatsociety.com/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »
I think this statue is older than 12 years old, much older. The red hat Society only started in July 2000. Besides, I think the hat on the statue is more orange than red, of course it could of faded a little.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:53:00 pm by KevinM »