Author Topic: Another whats it ???  (Read 4191 times)

mart

• View Profile
Another whats it ???
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:53 pm »
A couple of weeks ago Frogpatch went thrift store shopping and I went garage sale shopping !! In a PM telling about what we found or didn`t find as the case may be, our descriptions sounded similar !! I have been waiting for Frogpatch to post his find so I could see if we bought the same item !! He hasn`t yet and its raining here off and on so bored silly,, I figured I would go ahead and post mine and see if anyone knows what it is !!  Its 12 in. long total with the round plate 8 in. X approx 1/2 in. holes in top and bottom but not directly aligned with each other. !!  I thought maybe a warmer for wood stove ??  Come on !! Make a dummy out of me !!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:24:12 pm by mart »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Another whats it ???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:26:42 pm »
OK Mart I will post it tomorrow morning. Sorry, I have been slammed with copy writing work this week. I don't think the two items serve the same function although its possible. There is a similarity. Mine is a little more obvious. I will try to put it up in the morning early before I head off to yard sales again. It going to be 74 and sunny so I am psyched. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
Good luck tomorrow !! I may make a quick run but not much time with this garden going !!  Trying to get it all in the freezer !! Running out of ideas for vegetables and big garden hasn`t even started yet !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:43:02 pm »
I just got my 11 tomato plants on Tuesday. It rained all day on Wednesday. Good timing.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »
guesses pop corn popper, lol

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »
I don't even cook...but being old has its advantages. ;)
For lack of a better term that's a "simmer pad" or "flame spreader". Use it on a stove burner under your pot of soup to help distribute the heat to prevent scorching.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »
Rauville you beat me to it! I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Agree, it is a anti-scorching device, I'm not sure what the correct term for it is.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »
It's a stovetop flame/heat diffuser , such as those used when one has got a flame burner & sometimes thin cookware (like camping) .
Tends to even out the heat esp in campstoves , but good enough for any cook-flame burner worthy of a pot of beans or coffee !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Well at least I got close with the warmer idea !! Never saw one before so I had no clue !! We have had gas or propane cookstoves and lord knows I have cooked enough on a coleman stove to be an expert !! But this is a new one for me !!
 Wouldn`t work for a corn popper,,, it doesn`t open !!
Thanks everyone !! You have added to my education on old stuff !!  Now waiting to see the one Frogpatch has !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 07:21:54 pm »
Gas stove flame/heat diffuser - placed directly on the unit it reduces/redistributes heat from the flame for evenly cooking items.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 04:45:17 am »
It  it were to be used as a flame/heat diffuser for sitting pots/skillets on .... then both side of it should be flat, I would think.

I wasa thinking it was a "diffuser" lid for placing on top of a skillet to prevent such as bacon grease from "popping" out all over the stove top surface and/or primarily used to prevent a cooking pot from "boiling" dry and scorching/burning the food in it.

A majority of the "steam" will condense on or inside the lid and will then drip back into the pot. A per say "water" recycling lid.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:01 am »
It is flat, Cogar !!  Just a flat metal plate and it does show that it has been on a heat source on the bottom !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »
Mart, why does it need a handle?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »
They just all have handles!  Easier to put on a remove - especially when hot!!

Newer ones these days

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:34 am »
KC, I was actually questionig the practicality of the device itself. For a chef/cook that makes lots of thick gravies and sauces it would work just fine.

I see in your 2nd picture that it once had an insulated handle.