Author Topic: 20th C art glass (scottish?)  (Read 1683 times)

redleaf

• View Profile
20th C art glass (scottish?)
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:32:54 am »
Hi

I have inherited two pieces of art glass.

One is Scottish Vasart (ysart brothers?) with an acid etched signature and a paper label on the base which I understand is a bit rare? Could anyone give me a rough value for that?

I also have a similar piece with a pontil mark with an impression of a dolphin (or whale?) - could anyone identify the maker - and does that have any value?

--
John

mart

• View Profile
Re: 20th C art glass (scottish?)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:23:52 am »
The bottom one is not a pontil mark but rather a makers mark !! Would likely be a mold blown piece !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:02 am »
First your Vassart piece to sell in this market I would say $40.00    It is a small piece but pretty!The Ysart family had founded Vasart Glass in 1946, when Salvador Ysart and two of his sons left Moncrieff Glassworks and set up their own works in Perth. This now-famous immigrant Spanish family had designed and made the very successful "Monart" glass ( Monart is selling for the highest prices in this market of the three) vases and bowls whilst working at Moncrieff Glassworks, and Vasart glass was similar to Monart but the colours were more pastel. Strathearn glass is similar to both, with a return to bright colours in some examples. Like Monart, the glass was made by blowing a clear crystal blank, then rolling this molten vessel over a pattern made up from crushed fragments of coloured glass (enamels). The whole vase was then cased in clear crystal.

Your second piece was made by Strathearn Glass Scotland (1965 - 1980) value $30.00  Strathearn Glass was the name given to the Vasart Glass company in Scotland when it was bought out in 1965 by Teacher's the whisky company. Teacher's moved the glassworks into a new purpose-built factory in nearby Crieff. Strathearn Glass continued to make the same style of vases, bowls and lamps as Vasart and Monart, but these are easy to distinguish because they have the company trademark, a leaping salmon, imprinted onto the pontil. Strathearn also made millefiori paperweights. These paperweights are selling well and some for high prices even in this market!!  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:33:40 am by wendy177 »

redleaf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:59 am »
Thank you for the detailed reply, perfect (of course it's a salmon I can see that now!)
--

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:41 am »
Thank heavens we have Wendy !! Our resident glass expert !! So it is a pontil ??  Bet that was hard to use !!  First I have ever seen !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:11:41 am »
Actually mart it is a covered pontil this was a much easier process than grinding & polishing to smooth a punt mark (pontil break) What they did was complete the piece then use the punt to attach a small gather of hot glass over the punt scar, into which a maker's mark is impressed. Easy peasy  ;)