Author Topic: So, what is this Griswold item?  (Read 1827 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
So, what is this Griswold item?
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
Sorry Mart! I apologize for not getting this up on the weekend, as promised. I was just too busy.
I bought this for $2 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago an it is now a kitchen decoration and may be re-purposed as a trivet or something. I actually do know what it is and I am sure one of you will get it right away. Iin case your can't read it it says "Griswold - Erie, PA - USA American 5 12 in" on the one side and "Reversible Steel Spindle - Pat'd July 20 1913" on the other. I am sure there are some Griswold collectors out there who would want this. So, what is it?

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: So, what is this Griswold item?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »
It's a stovepipe damper...for controlling the draft in the flue when using an older coal or wood stove.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »
LOL  From your description I pretty much had this one figured out already !!  And yes,, I was looking a bit and there are many who would like to have that one !!  Excellent find !!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
Well Rauville gets the cigar and Mart gets to light it. I knew that this would not be tough. Let me dig and see what else I can find. I found no old bargains this weekend in my travels. It does not happen much but it does happen.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »
LMAO at Rauville. Our posts crossed. That is a distinct possiblity. Here in  New Jersey frog juice from certain areas can be very dangerous. Especially from the ones with three hind legs and one eye in the center of their head.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »
LMAO at Rauville. Our posts crossed. That is a distinct possiblity. Here in  New Jersey frog juice from certain areas can be very dangerous. Especially from the ones with three hind legs and one eye in the center of their head.

(I don't know what happened...the posts crossed and made a U-turn maybe? Anyway, here it is again:)

Pardon me for answering without reading your text. I should have known better.
On second thought, I'm thinking this is a pretty darn rare "frog skewer". :o  The cast iron portion acts as a guard to keep frog juice from running down your arm when you come in the house proudly displaying your catch. ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:29:15 pm »
I am so glad we got the other portion of the conversation !! After reading Frogpatch`s reply first,, you have no idea the images that went through my mind before we got the,,,,rest of the story !!!