Author Topic: Sterling Belt Buckle  (Read 1867 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Sterling Belt Buckle
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »
I found this sterling belt buckle hiding in a little wood file cabinet that pretty much just fell apart when I went to pick it up. Its all sterling silver except the loop your belt would go through is brass I think. I'm most curious about what exactly its suposed to be. I see it has a cresent moon but what is with the circle in a circle? The only marking I can find on it is a C on the brass loop. Thanks!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Sterling Belt Buckle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:11:58 pm »
This looks like an individually made art buckle, not something mass-produced. I don't know if it is supposed to represent the moon or if it is just an abstract design. I would take a guess at the date as being 1960's. Unless it contains a lot of silver, I don't think it will be terribly valuable, unless it is made by a well-known artist.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
I knew it was a long shot but on the other hand you never know what someone here might recognize. It could be an art piece but there didn't really seem like there was much room for art in this collectors life. The old owner was all about tobacco(mosly cigars) and sports memorabilia so I wondered if it wasn't a cigar brand logo or something.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:17 am »
Letting my imagination run riot, I can see the four initials OCOO.  This is looking at it from the perception of, if you were wearing it, the "hook" would be on the left side.  I'm assuming this is a lady's buckle.  Running this OCOO on Google there are a lot of hits.  One was a ladies cosmetic company and countless others. 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:03:30 am »
Letting my imagination run riot, I can see the four initials OCOO.  This is looking at it from the perception of, if you were wearing it, the "hook" would be on the left side.  I'm assuming this is a lady's buckle.  Running this OCOO on Google there are a lot of hits.  One was a ladies cosmetic company and countless others. 

My imagination isn't quite as active...but the first thing I saw was: "Mooneye". Since that is a fish, maybe the lady was an ardent fisherperson? ::)

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:54 am »
Its kind of neat how eveyone is looking at the same object but we all see something different. lol!

I think Rauville nailed it on the head. I found some of their fishing maps in the same file cabinet. I was even saying to my wife it looks like a moon and an eye but what does it mean? I never would of related it to fishing. Mystery solved I'm the proud owner of a Mooneye belt buckle. Thank you!!!!