Author Topic: Balinese canopy bed  (Read 1029 times)

AtticFull

• View Profile
Balinese canopy bed
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:06 am »
We have downsized and unfortunately don't have space for this Balinese canopy bed.  We were told it was early 20th century by the shop in Bali where we bought it.  It is approximately 93" tall x 87" wide x 58" deep.  We've looked at the local shops for comparables and haven't found any exactly like it.  The closest beds are painted and have $2-3 thousand price tags.  None of these shops will either buy the bed or take it on consignment.  We're thinking of Craig's List so we can sell it locally and not have to go through the pain of packing and shipping it.

We'd appreciate counsel on any or all of these questions.  Thanks!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Balinese canopy bed
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
I have a Chinese wedding bed which is similar and was appraised at $4,000. The intricacy of the carvings will affect the price and the charm factor is another part of it. People who buy these kinds of beds like to see figural characters, dragons, flowers, etc. The more you know about the carvings the better equipped you will be to sell it. If it is simply geometric designs, it will be harder to sell.

Yes, these beds are generally a couple thousand, but finding a buyer with the eccentric personality (like me!) that it takes to sleep in a bed like this can take time. If you need to sell it fast I would go to higher end antique galleries. If you have time and can make the price competitive with shipping costs, Ebay. You can also try Craigslist for a local sale, which is how I got mine. Although it appraised at $4,000 I only paid $1,000 and I was the only person who responded to the ad, which was in San Francisco near Chinatown. I hope this is helpful.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Re: Balinese canopy bed
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:28:22 am »
I would love to have a bed like that but,,unfortunately,, it would not fit in an old Texas farmhouse from the 50`s !!  If it were me,,, I would check with a good auction house !!  Some will handle the moving for you and they can advertise to buyers that are interested in that type bed !!  Saves a lot of headache on your part !!  Just call and they can come and appraise it and you can get details !!!