Author Topic: Metal Industrial Table - What would you do?  (Read 1508 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Metal Industrial Table - What would you do?
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:26:12 pm »
I bought this all metal table over the weekend and really like it. My wife does not appreciate it as much however. It was made in the 1920s by Simmons.  Industrial is very hot in New York and a few other cities but I do not have a connection to those markets. This table is almost counter height. I thought if I painted it white with epoxy paint I could either use it outside for plants or maybe have a piece of butcher block cut for the top and use it in the kitchen where space is at a premium. It would have more wife appeal maybe. Any ideas would be appreciated. I really do not want to put it on Craigslist. Sorry if the picture is not great. I must have moved.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:32:20 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Metal Industrial Table - What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »
I like it !! At that height,, perfect for a coffee stand !!  Coffee maker on top with cups, nice wicker basket on bottom shelf with extras, napkins and such !!  White would look better, for industrial look, aluminum !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »
Great idea. When I get that Kuerig!  Aluminum would look great or if I stripped it an took a wire brush wheel to it and made it brushed steel.  Maybe a blender station for frozen drinks outside. Thanks Mart for stoking my imagination.  Restore, recycle, re-purpose, reclaim, renew. Give back and get buzzed while in the process. I love it!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:50:59 pm by frogpatch »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »
Cool little item , patch !

I'd consider giving it a nice faux wood-grain job , as often these type of units would be painted ... & then a few coats of clear , with a final finish rub-down with some 2000 grit (or less) automotive rubbing compound .

Although most of the ones seen by me have all been dark , one could use much lighter & 'contemporary' woodgrain tones ... alotta work , though .
Most of the ones I have seen have got rust 'issues' (the steel ones , that is) on the tops & legs .

I guess if having it around pisses-off mama-san too much , it might serve as a handy/diminutive size work surface for your shop .

I am one to employ long-term Briar-rabbitisms to such problems in my own life , so my personal choice would be to keep it in the garage/shop & secretly work on making it more beautiful as the years pass ; all the while complaining about what a pain it is to keep in storage ... one day , in the distant future , your dear wife may see it once again and find it charming ....

;D
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:25 am »
It is painted over rust. I may just use it as a Hibachi stand for when I am only cooking two hamburgers and lighting the kettle would not be cost effective. Hibachi? Do they still make them of did they all go to the scrap heap in the 80s? Br'er Rabbitism. I like that term. "Please don't throw me in that thar briar patch."