Author Topic: Huge Tea Pot. whats the value?  (Read 4208 times)

hustlin

• View Profile
Huge Tea Pot. whats the value?
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:15:17 am »
Hi,

My dad picked this up from an apartment owner who was moving who no longer wanted it. Its a huge teapot. 1 person can barely move it. Takes two.

I dont know anything about it. It doesnt seem too old to me.. maybe mid century. My dad says its really old but he just saying that lol. it looked like it was actually used to pour tea.

any advice? history? or potential value? few hundred or a couple thousand?

thanks

[

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:18:43 am by hustlin »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Huge Tea Pot. whats the value?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:56:46 am »
I  don`t think it is a tea pot,, but rather for water !!  As in bathing !! I believe some countries and religions use similar pots but smaller for washing feet before entering a temple !!  That would be my guess !!  Unless you are serving tea to the whole town !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:25:26 am »
In pic #1 it looks like there is writing on the curved part of the handle towards the spout. What does that say?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:27 am »
Cool little item , hustlin .

It appears to be a chai pot ; my best guess at it's origin would be India ... not an 'Islamic' item , as the artwork on it depict birds .

Handmade & perhaps tinned &/or silver/faux silver gilded ... looks like copper .

Common 'sidewalk-vendor' item (for selling/making chai) on the streets of Indian cities/towns , usually on a cart with a burner/brazier .... also used for large free 'feeds' during religious festivals .

The loose spout looks like an easy (soldered) fix !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »
Hey Fancy !!  Did you read the size of this thing ??  Takes two people to lift it ????

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:00:18 pm »
Yup , mart .

They make & drink 'a ton' of chai every day in India .

An independant vendor usually pays for the 'right' to sell chai at certain locations , such as train/transit stations/stops & many public venues .
It usually involves regular small bribes to 'security' &/or police in the area , and is an honorable yet very poverty-brink business on the streets of India .
It is fairly simple to stock a cart with the basics for the biz ; a teapot or two , water , coal/wood/kerosene , chai & some glasses ... but it's a big deal for the poor of the country to be able to have/run one !

The vendor charges a small fee to each 'chai wallah'  , the in-your-face-vendor (point-of-sale) on the street . The chai wallah , as part of his 'right' to sell chai , gets to make sure that the boss has got everything that her/she needs to keep the chai flowing ... at no cost to the boss ....esp the job of hucking around big pots of water .
The same goes for 'home-front' (aka mom&pop) shops where there will typically be a kitchen window in the side of a building with a sill/counter for doing business (aka 'Chaibucks'?) with passers-by .
The owner/boss gets to sit on his duff at the house/shop/cart all day , dispensing from there .
The chai wallahs have a much busier day & will either carry trays with glasses of chai , or will 'wear' a rather large chai dispenser (some with spouts , some with valves/taps) & walk through the streets (sometimes with only a few metal cups) .
Chai wallahs (pretty much the lowest 'rank' employees) are regular employees of many companies in India , where there is a great demand for chai , not just limited to the streets & restaurants & such ... highly connected to Indian culture & history .

Nice spicy drink that can make you sweat !

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:37 am »
Sounds like you have been there Fancy. Fascinating information. Thanks for that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:46 am »
If it takes two to lift the pot I assume,, the vendors hire someone to do that ??  I have seen the way chai is typically served so I guress it is transferred to  smaller pots from the larger one ??  I am just curious Fancy, since no first hand experience !!  I have seen them hold the pot way above the cup and wondered how they never spill a drop !! I would have it all over me and the customer !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:09:26 pm »
Yup , frogpatch , been there many times !

Mart - usually there's up to 8/9 chai wallahs working 'for' the owner(s) & when the boss says 'Do this!' , they tend to do so in a hurry !
The chai wallahs do all of the heavy work for the owners , as many as it takes to do any task asked of them .
You're correct about transferring tea/chai from the large pot to smaller ones ... some of the owners can have their own bit of 'flair' (think of a barista @ the local coffee-shop) & will sometimes make a show of pouring a cup from the large pot , especially for regular/well-to-do customers ... it's usually considered 'better' (cleaner/more pure/sanitary) to have a cup from the 'mother pot' , rather than getting a cup from a 'walking vendor' .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »
LOL,, Do they ever spill it ??

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »
Well , if they do - it's socially acceptable to hand out a bit of a public swatting/beating (from the boss or his '2nd') , either by hand or with a stick .

Most Americans cannot wrap their heads around the extreme poverty that exists for the 'lower classes' in India .
An average & industrious chai wallah , working the transit hubs & streets takes home about $2-$4 (USD) per day , after 'expenses' .... a very good day would net $6-$8 .

Last year in India there were riots in several cities & all of this over a rise in the prices for onions .
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:14:27 pm by fancypants »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »
Not to make light of a bad situation there,, but last time I went to the market I threatened a small riot over onions for $1.99 per pound !!  Glad I had a good crop this year !!

hustlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »
got a pic of a name. ooo thanks so its a chai pot. chai is a great drink  :)

any idea where the best place to sell this thing is? on craigslist or a consignment store. im really have no idea what the value is on this item.

thanks