Author Topic: I know nothing... what is my vanity worth, ballpark?  (Read 3865 times)

timorous

• View Profile
I know nothing... what is my vanity worth, ballpark?
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance. I have a pretty old blonde wood vanity. It's obviously very old, but in great shape. It still has the original key, and the drawers all lock nicely. Attached are a few pictures. I was gonna sell it on craiglist and I'd appreciate the help of this wonderful forum in not getting ripped off, or vice versa.

Thanks!

- Tim

mart

• View Profile
Re: I know nothing... what is my vanity worth, ballpark?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
Who stripped it ??  These were made from about 1890 through the early 30`s with small differences in style !! Considered country furniture, most of these are oak and stained a honey golden color !! Hence the name Golden Oak !!  This one was not well done,, grain can hardly be seen and it should really be what catches your eye !!  In its current condition value is about $75. to $100.  Good that you have a key,, that helps !!

timorous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »
Who stripped it ??  These were made from about 1890 through the early 30`s with small differences in style !! Considered country furniture, most of these are oak and stained a honey golden color !! Hence the name Golden Oak !!  This one was not well done,, grain can hardly be seen and it should really be what catches your eye !!  In its current condition value is about $75. to $100.  Good that you have a key,, that helps !!

Thanks for the reply. I listed it at 85 and got an offer for 100, so I guess I'll take that. I don't know who stripped it, honestly. I didn't even know it had been stripped. Really, I know nothing at all about antiques. I'd love to learn more, though.

I'm always astounded at how much knowledge people have about antiques. Like, for example, how did you know that these had been made during that time period? Was this a piece of "manufactured" furniture, by a specific company? There are no marks anywhere, no labels, no plaques. There's nothing to trace it to a specific company.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the reply. I'm glad to know I'm exchanging it for a fair price.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:32 am »
I didn't even know it had been stripped.

Look at the right hand edge of the top surface.  ;D

Actually, I was surprised when I couldn’t see the grain of oak because that’s what I expected it to be.

An interesting point about that piece is, few people realize that that oval shaped beveled mirror by itself is worth $75 because it makes for a beautiful decorator piece in an entrance hallway or whatever.

And with the high bow and long oval mirror I was thinking it is called a Princess Dresser.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:34 am »
I think it had an applied grain at one time. It looks like birch to me. It was common to faux grain these pieces.

timorous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:17 am »
Thanks for the info. The woman just left with it. It's sad I couldn't keep it, it really was beautiful, but my new place is so small that there's just not room for furniture that doesn't have a specific purpose.

It's strange to me that antiques like this can have so little value to people. I mean, the old lady who picked it up tried to haggle with me and eventually we agreed on 85 bucks. That's about a tank of gas in the SUV she drove away in. How can something that's survived maybe as much as 100 years, and is likely older than any person alive, still has the original key, be worth less than a tank of gas. Now, don't get me wrong, I personally paid 150 for it on Craigslist myself, and I expected it to be worth around that much. It's just odd to me what value people assign to things.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:24 am »
People buy old for the aesthetics and quality. The character and charm can't be duplicated but some people pay more for copies. Go figure

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:26 am »
Its hard to see Frogpatch but enlarging the pic you can barely see the grain on the drawer fronts !!  Some pieces were faux grained during this time period !! If you pay attention to style and the overall look of furniture,, timeline is not difficult to determine !!  Most all the furniture I dealt with daily when I had a shop was similar to this !!  So that is what I know best !! These were made by half the Mfrs, working at that time so rarely are they marked in any way !!  It was considered country furniture because they used the less expensive oak rather than mahogany or walnut therefore they were more affordable for those with little money !!
In my area this dresser would have sold better than most of the dark woods !! Chances are the lady that bought it would have given the $100. but dealing is part of the buying art !!  Thats why shops usually have a mark up of at least 20 to 25% above what they actually want for an item.  When the shop owner comes down a bit on price,, the buyer feels like he got a bargain and will be a repeat customer !!  Its just part of human nature to wheel and deal !!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:27:17 pm »
I know that Mart. I used to sell to dealer from your area as well as all of the south. They would come up here with trailers and rent a pick up to fill them. I have seen these in oak, birdseye maple and red stained anywood. I think you were right when you said it was stripped. The grain and color still look like birch to me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »
Could be !!  Really hard to tell from pics !!  That faint vertical grain made me think oak !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:43 am »
BTW a princess dresser will have a space between smaller drawers on each side, with either one wider drawer or no drawer at all at the bottom. They're quite striking, and not at all common.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford