Author Topic: chinese rose medallion qainlong bowl value??  (Read 1958 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile
chinese rose medallion qainlong bowl value??
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »
Hello all,

I have another item I need a little help with value. It is a qainlong bowl with alternating rose and famille panels. It has male and female figures within an Imperial Palace Courtyard with dragons above archway and phoenix birds on flowering peonies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270988245811?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:11:05 pm by jumpontopski »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: chinese rose medallion qainlong bowl value??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »
I'd say that the mark on the item reflects that of one of a copy of the mark of the Qianlon emperor (ruled from 1736 to 1795) , as in : a copy , non-original .

The genuine article (mark) is generally done in blue & frequently 'raised' within the porcelain .
The genuine articles were painted with a much more artistic & skilled hand !!!

I couldn't tell in the ebay images , but it's also a bit of a 'tell' if you can spot any grinding-away of excess glaze @ the base of such period items (should not be ground-down , as this is caused , generally , from slumping/excess glaze ... not hi-qual craftsmanship) .

That's my 2 cents on the item , jumpontopski .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »
Thanks for your 2 cents...i appreciate the feedback. Why do you think the mark is that of a copy? Could you elaborate please?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:26:07 am »
Here's a good website with great info , concerning chinese/japanese hallmarks , for you to check out , jumpontopski : www.gotheborg.com   .

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:18 am »
Thanks fancy, I uses that site alot to look up markings and such. I am just curious how you determine that this mark is that of a copy. What characteristics of the mark make you think it is a copy? I found the exact same mark at 2 different sites and they both said it was qainlong and it was from the 19th century. I appreciate the feedback you are giving me I just want to understand how you determine copy vs original.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »
Well , not to put too fine of a point to it , in the case of the mark in question ....
any 19th-20th century mark depicting a mark from the 18th century would be , by definition , spurious .... stamped marks like these (on the item in question) have been produced for quite awhile and dating replica marks can be a real head-scratcher ... esp ones that have been hand rebrushed/'touched-up' , after stamping .

I'm no expert on the 'newer' markings , nor the oldies , but have had a few hundred of the originals in my hands/eyes ....

Hope you get what you consider a fair price for yours !
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:33:41 pm by fancypants »