Author Topic: Rose Medallion plate: How can I identify the mark: "Japan China"  (Read 1326 times)

magar

• View Profile
I inherited this plate from my grandmother who ran a travel agency in the Far East from about 1950-1962.  Recently it was broken and I need to establish a value for insurance.  I have always though it was a "Rose Medallion" pattern, and that it was made when Japan and China were one country.  How can I establish some information about value, and determine the hallmark?

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Rose Medallion plate: How can I identify the mark: "Japan China"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:24:24 pm »
I'd just talk to your insurance agent & discuss it .

It's a bummer that it had to wind up broken , magar , but I bet many pairs of eyes enjoyed looking at it since way back when .

I'm thinking that it's of a post WW2 manufacture ... eyes are tired here tonight & will take another glance tomorrow , when it's not bed-time .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:52:59 pm »
I think "Japan china" is just another way of saying "Japanese Porcelain". Since this and "Decorated in Hong Kong" are both in English, I think what you've got is a piece intended for export. It was a pretty piece, it's too bad it met with a tragic end!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:37 am »
Your plate was intended for export and is not the older rose medallion !! Without damage the best of these run from $30. to $60. !!  Unfortunately damage negates any potential value !!