Author Topic: Vintage Electric Fan  (Read 1928 times)

FarmerAngus

• View Profile
Vintage Electric Fan
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:13:06 pm »
I've got a pretty cool piece here today that I'm interested in knowing the value of.
It is a vintage Dominion Electric Fan that is in pretty good condition and still functional.  It's all metal and actually weighs quite a bit!

Help on the value of this thing would really be appreciated!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Electric Fan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »
Nice looking old fan , FarmerAngus .

I'd say that if you gave it a real good going (internal&external) over & a careful 'lube&clean' it would be @ it's best condition & highest value (as a working vintage fan) .

They were & still are , to some degree , designed to be disassembled & maintained , since they're sentenced to a life in the wind & dust .

When doing so , any potential customer/revaluation/etc. would have some incentive if you did a small quickie photo shoot of it's restoration (... well that's provenance 4 the future !) you'd also have the confidence to have/sell/keep a safe-to-operate electrical device , although not so safe around water (ungrounded/unisolated circuits) .

Personally , I really like the look of your little unit & the blades remind me of a sub propeller . Looks like a stout example of the crafts & I'd call it a keeper , if it was in my mitts (esp since I'm fond of like items , in my dottage) !

There's a few folks pretty familiar with lots of pricing for such items kicking around the site , so let's see what others may say !

I surf slow , so checking on Ebay , for me , don't work so quick (for like items & pricing) .

Thanks for posting your item !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:44:16 am »
I have a real similar one that I can't get $40 for locally. They're really cool, just not that valuable.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:27:45 pm »
Many kids learned a painful lesson from these.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »
These are popular on Pinterest!  Some examples for "re-lifing" a fan....

Repainted in modern colors....they sell fast!

Fan blades painted with chalk paint are popular as memo boards!  (I personally love this one!)
HAVE ALSO SEEN THIS done as a memo board using the outer metal cage and clothes pins to pin notes or pin up photos!!!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:53:04 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!