Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 2267 times)

kimmy

• View Profile
what is this?
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »
Hi my dad collects vintage items and bought this one not long ago. However we are not sure what it is. The tip where it is flat is sharp and the hooked part is sharp at the end. The handle has some lettering hard to read but we managed to see its from new haven ct. The other part might say belle machine or something.

mart

• View Profile
Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »
If the lettering is impressed, sprinkle the letters with flour, or cornstarch then dust off with tissue !! The flour or starch should settle in the impression and make it easier to read !!

kimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:22 pm »
 thanks i will try tell him to try that. He just left and took the tool with him. We3 did try to put paper on it and use a lead pencil to read it but it still wasn't clear. Hopefully that helps.  I want to say the item is also hammared and the entire long stem part is flat. he thought maybe it was for cutting the twin on hay bells or something  :-\  Hopefully someone looks at this and has an idea. Its steel also.  ???

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:08 am »
Made me think of those old "ice tools" they used when "block" ice was cut from the frozen rivers and stored for summer use.

kimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:05 am »
ohh maybe... i am assuming being its from new haven ct that it would have been along the ocean so thats a possibility. I'll google that and see what I come up with. Thanks :)

Rocketdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16:14 am »
Try looking up antique ceder shingle nail puller.  I believe that is what is called. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:57 am »
Rocketdog you are right on for the shingle tool.  I have known it to be called a "Slater's ripper".  It cuts off the nails to remove a single shingle for replacement!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rocketdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:06 am »
Yep!  Slide it up under the shingles tap it to the left or the right and rip the shingle nails out.  Back in the old days all you needed to shingle a roof was that tool and a hatchet.  The top end of the handle where the blade meets the handle should show signs of being hammered.

kimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:37 am »
Awesome information guys!  Yes it does show signs on being hammered.  Thanks for all the help. My dad has so many vintage tools and items and he loves to research everything and know what it was aqnd what it was used for ect.. I'm sure he will very much appreciate all that information and explanation of its use. Thanks again!   I also referred him to join this site, I'm sure he could help many out as well :)

Thanks again!  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »
Your welcome kimmy!

Join in and help out...the more the merrier.

We LOVE the "what's it" items!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:53:58 am »
HA, I learned something today. Never thought of it being used for removing cedar/slate shingles. Of course there have been few to none houses that were shingled with those any place that I’ve ever lived.

i am assuming being its from new haven ct that it would have been

Kimmy, New Haven was an important manufacturing center in earlier times and all “sorts” of old tools and gadgets were made there.