Author Topic: I Need Help with an Oil Painting  (Read 4108 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
I Need Help with an Oil Painting
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:24:56 pm »
Here we go again! This was a one dollar buy this weekend at a garage sale. I found this in a box of frames. It is small, measuring only 8 x 10 inches. It is signed JM Forrest 1938. I know there was a western school of painters in the 30s. I have read about them and seen examples on Antiques Road Show. I tried to look on line but found nothing about that school because I can't remember the name. The last name of the artist is so common as a first name.  I get a lot of Forrest Gump and Forrest Bess who is a very notable person. I also do not know the real name of the school unlike the Hudson River School, which we all know. I am really asking for your help on this one. I like the subject matter and I know fly fishing is a popular theme. The painting to me looks well executed to me.  Another odd thing is that the size of the canvas board is listed on the label as 18 x 24 inches. Thanks

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: I Need Help with an Oil Painting
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:18:04 pm »
Oooops! Forgot pix. Sorry

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:08:29 pm »
Your painting almost has a feeling of Scotland about it. No connection I'm sure, but there was an artist by the name of James Forrest that did somewhat similar Scottish landscapes around 50 years prior to yours.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:24 am »
Thats interesting. I never thought about it possibly being Scottish. Fly fishing in the Highlands. That is a possibility. Maybe James had a son or lived to be 100 years old. 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:15:42 am »
Thats interesting. I never thought about it possibly being Scottish. Fly fishing in the Highlands. That is a possibility. Maybe James had a son or lived to be 100 years old. 

I doubt if it was James, but maybe a relative was inspired to follow in his steps.
http://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/lot/309525-james-haughton-forrest-1826-1925-oil-on-board-scottish-lake-scen/

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:53 am »
He was 99 when he died in 1926. Definitely not him. Hopefully someone can shed some more light on this. The fact that the board was American makes me think the artist is also. In the thirties a Scottish painters supplies would probably be made across the pond. I wouldn't think they would import from the US back then.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:39 am »
Can you tell what medium it was done in ??  Oil, watercolor, acrylic ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:11 am »
It is oil, Mart. I should have mentioned that. It has also yellowed a bit. I think it may have received a top coat of something.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25:07 am »
Most older shcools of art used a varnish top coat !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:23 am »
Now there were lots of artists that painted similar scenes in/of the Catskill Mts. and especially in Upstate NY such as Trenton Falls and the area which now is encompassed by the Adirondack State Park which is a horrendously large preserve.

When I lived up there the Adirondack League Club, which was founded in the 1890s, controlled over 50,000+- acres of wilderness with their own security patrolling it and gated entrances.  

And I guess they still do: http://prfamerica.org/stats/Stats-AdirondackLeagueClub.html

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »
I spent a lot of time camping in the Catskills and the Adirondacks and to me the landscape in the painting does not look like what I knew from the area. The Adirondacks are covered with deep green conifers and the Catskills are a hardwood mix. Both are rounded form the glaciers. These mountains to me look like they are more rugged like western foothills. No glacial wear to the shape and the flat area of grass also looks more like a western plateau. That is at least how I see it.  Thanks

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:53:33 am »
I spent a lot of time camping in the …. Adirondacks  …….. The Adirondacks are covered with deep green conifers ………… are rounded form the glaciers

I’m sure that is what you remember …….. but, ……. a picture is worth 1,000 words, to wit:

Adirondack Mountains-in-autumn-northern-New-York

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/95723/Adirondack-Mountains-in-autumn-northern-New-York

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:18 am »
And ps, …. frogpatch, ….this is one of my many memories of different camps located in the Adirondacks.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:18 am »
Note that the mountain tops are smooth and green.  Not pointy and bare. I am sorry but there is no resemblance between the painting and that region. Take a second look.  I am familiar with the area as I am from Northern NJ and had family in Glens Falls and Scoharie. I spent every summer up there. My wife and I are planning a trip this summer. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:58:00 am »
You know,, there is a possibility that the scene is purely fictional and doesn`t represent any particular place !!  I always started my classes that way !!  Inventing their own scenes !!  It teaches them to use their minds and not rely on a pic or a photo or going plein aire !!