Author Topic: Antique erotica nude gelatin silver photography, ALO Nudes  (Read 3766 times)

steve_mezz

• View Profile
Antique erotica nude gelatin silver photography, ALO Nudes
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Hi there I have an antique photograph from 1916 in an antique frame. It is by ALO Nudes and hand colored in oil by Albert Arthur Allen. At least thats what I think... Im hoping to find out alot more about it here in this forum. And hopefully someone here could give me a value for it.

I'm not sure how to post pics... here goes:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:44:30 pm by steve_mezz »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Antique erotica nude gelatin silver photography, ALO Nudes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:44 am »
On the pickers I saw them buy one for $75.00.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

steve_mezz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:06 am »
Really? $75? I saw similar ones by the same artist and company going for 200-500 on ebay... And I couldnt find ANYTHING on this particular one. I read that there are some unknown works and I think this is a very rare unknown work. And (I think) the cigarette makes for even more of a taboo subject matter... I was hoping that would make it a real treasure.... Any more info any one??  THANKS!!!

steve_mezz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »
Anyone?

Anything?

Please?

;D

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:43:59 pm »
hmm. I guess they are more rare than you might have thought!
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:15:55 pm »
Steve, what are the measurements of the picture?

steve_mezz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
Ive never had it out of the frame, but I measured and its 7.5 inches wide by 11.5 inches tall. I'd appreciate ANY info!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:28:38 am »
Just throwing this out on the fly.......heading out to work. Allen did an 'Alo Series', 1916 - 1923. If you read through relevant parts in a couple of these links it appears this series was considered his best work. Have yet to see the same as your, but if you could track down a copy of the book/s done on this series you may come across it.  A library with a large arts section would be helpful.

These are what I came across last night.......

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6029154

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=albert+arthur+allen&sort=relevance&dtype=gallery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=20&pagenum=1

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-premiere-nudes-albert-arthur-allen/1004360108

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALBERT-ARTHUR-ALLEN-Alo-Studies-II-Reference-Price-Guide-Nature-Nude-CA-/200774074761?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2ebf114189&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101#ht_500wt_1148

Sorry about the mish mash......you'll have to scan through/down to locate the info. If the Live Auctioneers site doesn't cooperate you can just sign up for free to access more detail.  You'll see references to the Alo series and get an idea of selling prices (mind you this is not 'current' prices.......years spanned are listed at the top of each of the five pages)

Hope this helps a bit.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:54:34 am »
One last smoke before I'm out the door.........taken from reviews on the book Premier Nudes, at the Barnes and Noble site above.

"While a fascinating read and study of Albert Arthur Allen, most of the photography is very average by today's standards. Then again there were some series that showed true genius in artistic composition and use of light. A fine example of this is the Alo Studies taken from 1916-1923. They resemble Maxfield Parrish¿s work but with nudes. Instead of a study of nudes like most of the rest of the book they are a study in composition, light and art."

"The work will remind you of Jock Sturges's images. These were often modestly done, and create a wonderful mood of outdoor idylls. I enjoyed almost all of these works, which he referred to as Alo Studies. He was permanently disabled in 1923 in an accident and had to work indoors thereafter. Mr. Allen was not a good studio photographer. His models were often awkward, they were posed in artificial ways that are often unappealing, and he published a lot of subpar images. "

Off and gone   >>>>>>>>>

steve_mezz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:51:16 am »
Thanks for the info!!! Still cant find this one (titled cigarette). However, last night doing research I'm pretty sure I came across the copyright records showing he copyrighted 30 works in 1916 and "cigarette" was one of them...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:20:51 am »
I got the Parrish comparison immediately. Although touted as artistic (not that I'm arguing) the presence of the cigarette makes it that much more "naughty," kind of the soft core of the day.

What a great find!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

steve_mezz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:52 am »
Exactly what I thought!!! Thanks everyone so much for your info and help!!!! Now to try and sell it for a good price... thats the hard part.