Author Topic: Royal Cauldon and other stuff  (Read 1715 times)

Demi^G

• View Profile
Royal Cauldon and other stuff
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:49:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

I Recently helped clear out my late Nan's cupboards and  managed to keep some odds and sods that the family were sending off to the dump.

3 small dishes ( smaller than your average saucer) with delicately painted bird and foliage on the front. Back says Royal Cauldon Bristol Ironware ' paradise' in green, then Englands Oldest Pottery Est 1652.

Anyway I tried doing a bit of research on Royal Cauldon and mainly what I found was that it was est around mid 1700's. I'm not an antique collector so I know very little about antiques. These little dishes are sweet regardless, but I would love to know something about them and I wonder where they came from?

I also salvaged 4 Dishes like a saucer but with a deeper bowl, they are not in great condition but are interesting to look at. On the back- Made in England an H initial stamped in Green a unicorn and H & K Tunstall. and what looks like an L with a stroke through it in gold.

Last but not least a cream bowl larger than a soup bowl, with a green ring with gold edging on either side, has Woods Ivory Ware, a crown and England inscribed on the bottom in Gold plus what looks like 5X2325  

I'd love to hear  if anyone has any history on these pieces.    

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:49:46 pm »
lovely little treasures from your family -

here's the very best site for British pottery -

www.thepotteries.or g

it's a HUGE site - so go to home page and start your searches 1 by 1.  The Royal Cauldon piece is not as old as 1652 - but you may very well be able to establish age from backstamp -

Values aren't given on the site, but establishing the date is a start -

Based on previous web searches, your value for all of the pieces may be less than $200, but to identify them, age, and the history of your Gran, makes these priceless treasures to pass on.  The Royal Cauldon dishes may prove to be the very best of the lot.  

Quick rule of thumb - if it says England, it's after 1891.  Made in England I would say 1920's or later.  

If you need further assistance, post back, especially with pics - I love the old British and European ceramics.              KB

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:04:36 am »
and I may have found your Royal Cauldon pattern here:

http://www.1800replace.com/webquote/ROCPAR.htm

values are high retail replacement -

Even tho' these are part of a dinner set, they would look nice displayed on a shelf.  Bird motifs are popular.      best wishes on the remaining search.  KB

Demi^G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:43:57 pm »
Thank you  very much kerrybee for your interest and assistance I'm going to spend this weekend looking over the sites and will get back and let you know what I find also if I work out how to get some photos on here I'll do that too!

Thanks again  :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:45:06 pm by Demi^G »