Author Topic: Age and Approximate Value of Antique Wood Fishing Rod  (Read 8423 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Age and Approximate Value of Antique Wood Fishing Rod
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
As a fishing enthusiast of 50 years and a former antiques dealer, I thought searching this out for info would be a snap. Not so.
When I first spotted this I thought it was a pool cue leaning against a tree outside at an estate sale. That is how stout it is. It is a bait casting or bait dropping rod that is designed to handle a very heavy salt water fish. Living at the Jersey Shore I come across fishing and boating items frequently. In the old days of salt water fishing, line had to be removed and washed and dried after each trip so the salt would not ruin it. This pole must be from that era but I do not know how old it really is. I tried doing searches on line but I could not find a comparable. I had to take the pic in three sections. The over all length is only about five feet but it would not fit the frame well.  
Here is what I do know:
The butt section is turned from maple. The tip section is made from ash, the same wood the bats are made of.
The ring above the reel seat is called a wedding band it is the highest spot to place your hand when fighting a fish.
The handle is turned wood and has original black paint an had been splattered with with blue that I am trying tediously to remove. I think the handle and lower section of the pole are one piece
There are no markings of any kind.
There must have been guides but there are no marks where they were.
The metal is brass and was plated, with what looks like nickel, at one time

I would like to restore it but I do not know what the guides looked like or where they were. Or maybe there were none. I also can't separate the two sections after spraying a lot of WD40.  

If any one can shed any light on this for me I would appreciate it. All I can find on line are bamboo fly roads and intage name brand fiberglass. I can find no info on short fat wood salt water rods.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:52:34 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Age and Approximate Value of Antique Wood Fishing Rod
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »
Don`t think its a salt water rod !! Looks like a jigging pole !! No guides or reel either,, designed to fish straight down for panfish !! Line attaches at the tip !!  We used home made types when I was a kid !!  We fished off a pier in the creek straight down for crappie !! Just a fancy version of a cane pole !!  Behind the tip,, along the rod,, is there a spot that looks like  line has been tied repeatedly ??  We tied the line to the pole then ran the line through the end guide then attached hook, sinker and bait !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:37:46 am »
frogpatch, try heating that center ferrule to get it apart. The heat will cause the “female” portion to expand and thus “breaking” the seal. “HA”, that’s why my father taught me to always use “nose oil” on those ferrules before putting them together.

Now concerning the pole I’ll make a guess. Given its length, extremely strong wood in construction and the downward opening front ferrule “tip” it must have been made for saltwater “side-rail” fishing or use as a “jigging” or per say ”snatching” pole.

I mean like for in the “old” days when the commercial cod fishermen, etc. would stand on the side of the boat and throw a “bare” hook into the water and then swing that big fish up over their head and onto the deck ….. and then repeat the process over n’ over again. Individuals did likewise to support their family.

Anyway, that pole was not made for catching under “4-pounders”, but something much heavier like Cod, Stripers or Blues.

When you are after the "12+ pounder" class you don't want to spend all day trying to get them out of the water and into your boat.

Just my opinion though.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:25 am »
Mart,
With all due respect, I do not think you are reading or looking carefully  It has a reel seat The reel mounts on the metal sleeve and a ring slides up to lock it.  It is strong enough to lift a hefty fish. It was purchased 1 block from the saltwater marina. The ring on the thick end is a wedding band.  It is where you need to grab the pole and pump to pull in a fish with every ounce of strength you possess while your other hand cranks. I think it had ferrules but they are missing. The thickest part of the rod is one inch in diameter The actual length is 65 inches.  Saltwater boat poles are heavy and short. They are used for dropping a weight and bait and pulling in things like sharks and codfish. Please note length of modern rod in pictures

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:28 am »
Thanks Cogar, I will try that  I actually think it had guides at one time that are missing as it has an old but conventional reel seat  I just read that the black band above the handle indicates that is was made before 1900.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:53:41 pm »
Could be like Cogar said !!  I can`t see it well enough to tell much about it !! And I know zilch about salt water fishing !!  Just looked similar to what we used !! Seems like if it had guides you could tell where they were since they get a lot of stress !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:45:08 am »
Center guides are really only necessary on longer poles, when using light-lb. line, when using a casting reel (keeps line from whipping around and getting snarled).

My guess is that at least a 100 lb. test line would have been used on that pole and that would have been a pretty thick or heavy line years ago.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:55:36 pm »
It is really odd that I can find very little info online. I had a line drier from the same time years ago you would wash the line and wind it onto this reel made of several bars to dry it I wish I still had it but I left it in a shop on consignment and forgot about it  I picked up a wooden gaff from the same era a couple weeks ago I think they will look good together.
I agree that there should be some marks where the guides were as Mart said. I also agree with Cogar that they would not necessarily be needed on a short thick rod.

In a couple of days I am going to show a two foot fiberglass one that I found once I figure out where I put it.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:10:15 pm »
If I found that rod here I would call it a "snagging rod". Looks like the ones the ol' boys use on the river to snag those 100+ pound paddlefish. ;)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
You must be in Missouri or Montana. Do they eat those or just squeeze the roe out of them?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42:24 am »
I picked up a wooden gaff from the same era a couple weeks ago

Somewhere, hopefully, I have my father's gaff that was probably made in the 30's by him and the local blacksmith. Dad made the handle for it and signed his name.

I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:01:14 am »
   We are always interested Cogar !!  Around here we use old hay hooks for that !!  Catfish are not big fighters and tire out a bit after a few minutes !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:27 am »
I would love to see that gaff!  I sounds like a great piece
 I just found that little pole and it is 3 1/2 feet  It has a little wire stand and a place to wind up line. I think its for ice fishing but I don't know what keeps it form being pulled into the hole Then I thought it might be for catching bait fish the hard way. I will post it later when I find my %$#@^* glasses