Author Topic: Antique Chair Question (Idk if we can post 2 questions in the forum or not).  (Read 6053 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
First of all, I don't know if we are allowed to post more than one forum question, but here I go (I apologize if we are not).  This should be my last one for now. I have this chair we purchased from an auction. It was an online type Estate auction. It was not in the photos and kind of put in with the lot of stuff we bought (it was a surprise to us). We actually had 2 chairs from the auction. One of them was a Victorian Walnut Side Chair. Then there was this other one. We have no idea what kind of chair it is. I have never seen one before. It reminds me (and I could be wrong here) something of renaissance.  I think that is because of the bolts in the chair and the holes and such. If anyone has an idea of what kind of chair this could be and any information, I would really appreciate it. (I think it could be walnut). To me it looks nothing like a modern day kitchen chair. This was not in with the kitchen items in the auction.

Thank you ahead of time. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:07:38 pm by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

fancypants

• View Profile
Cool little chair , xm ...

I'm curious to know if this chair originally had a caned seat , since the current seat/covering looks like a 'repair' & not of the era of the item as a whole ....

(You can look underneath the seat to see if there are a bunch of smallish holes drilled at regular intervals through the seat-frame perimeter)
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
I agree, fancypants.

That chair should have a "softer" sitting seat.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I sure wish my aunt had internet/computer etc.  She got a chair from my grandparents that is made in the same style like this....never had a cushion....and has drilled holes.  Seat is a different wood from rest of chair body.  Beautiful piece in it's own right.

They didn't make a whole lot of chairs of this style with cushions.  They were everyday use style chairs and not for the parlor or formal areas that were more extravagant.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
Hi! Yes, it definitely has drilled holes in the bottom.  Here is a picture:

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
Your chair is likely early 30`s or thereabout !! I have a similar one in storage !! The top crest sometimes has an impressed flower design in the center !! Couldn`t see if yours does or not !! They were typically a bedroom type chair for a dressing table or such and could be bought as a single rather than a set !! Popular with the ladies because of the styling !! I have never seen one this style with a padded seat !!  There is another post with a seat like yours by Kidden I think !!  These seats could be purchased at hardware or general stores for repairs when a caned seat was damaged !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
Thank you very much for the information! I do appreciate it a lot! :) You have been very helpful.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
You're welcome to post as many items as you like! Our only restriction here is that you don't use the forums for selling goods or services. It's intended to do just what you are doing here, posting photos, answering questions and giving everyone a chance to learn in the process!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Yes,, Please feel free to post your items and ask questions !!  Meant to say that earlier and forgot !! Thanks to Talesofthesevenseas for taking up our slack and being a great mod. !!  Sometimes we forget !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Ditto!  Post away!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kidden6968

• View Profile
Yes I did just obtain a chair with almost the same seat board.  Mine however does not have the little holes in the bottom as if it had been caned at one time.  I actually have been unable to find any other holes or markings that might indicate this is a replacement.  In any case, I think they are neat!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Here I go again being the thorn in my friend Marts side, but I thought that to be a Victorian Cottage style side chair from the latter half of the 19th century. Check out the restoration in this blog

http://johnmarkpower.blogspot.com/2011/09/victorian-beech-side-chair-ca-1875-part.html

ghopper1924

• View Profile
The chair has a couple of basic Eastlake flourishes. I'd date it to ca. 1890-1900. Nice!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
kidden, some chairs were made for installing pre-caned seats and if yours was there would be like a 3/16" x 1/4" groove cut around the top of the seat in the same location those holes are in the seat in the above picture. You would have to remove the "seat panel" on yours to see that groove. And if there, you could replace it with a new pre-caned seat which is quite simple to do compared to manually re-weaving one out of caning fiber. 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Look at the link I posted.. There is a complete restoration of an almost identical chair circa 1874  Same seat, same legs, similar back and the same side rails