Author Topic: old picture  (Read 2467 times)

sally kelly

• View Profile
old picture
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »
any body.tell.me.anythi ng about this picture.i have had it for 15 years.

mart

• View Profile
Re: old picture
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »
Can you take it out of the frame and see if anything is written on it ??  Looks to be a paper piece from what little I can see !!

sally kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »
Can you take it out of the frame and see if anything is written on it ??  Looks to be a paper piece from what little I can see !!
i took the back off and the picture is in like a double outer frame and i would have to peal it off i didnt want to damage it.the picture part is bumpy like paint not print if you know what i mean.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:33:02 pm »
That is the matting that is around the outside !! It is like a frame !! If its a canvas or canvas board you can tell it !!  Canvas board is like a cardboard, artists sketchpads are also bumpy, but they are all over the paper like canvasboard is !! Can you take a pic of the back while its out of the frame ?

sally kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
That is the matting that is around the outside !! It is like a frame !! If its a canvas or canvas board you can tell it !!  Canvas board is like a cardboard, artists sketchpads are also bumpy, but they are all over the paper like canvasboard is !! Can you take a pic of the back while its out of the frame ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »
And that is a paper dust cover on the back isn`t it ??

sally kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:38 am »
And that is a paper dust cover on the back isn`t it ??
no idea.thought it was part of frame as its stuck to it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:40:39 am »
Only the wood part is the frame !!  Did it or does it have a glass on front ?? If so it could be a watercolor or something similar on paper !!  It could be a magazine or calender page that was framed !!  How they are done is to lay the frame down face first, then a glass, then matting, then picture is centered and secured, sometimes a thin piece of cardstock on that then dust cover is glued in place !! And last a heavier piece of cardboard as backing before the tacks are added !!  It appears to be something that was done simply for an art piece to use as a decorative piece !! Since it isn`t signed and is primitive in technique it would not be worth a lot and water damage lessens that value.  Could be from 20`s or 30`s !! Would have to guess at that since nothing to date it by !!

sally kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:31 am »
Only the wood part is the frame !!  Did it or does it have a glass on front ?? If so it could be a watercolor or something similar on paper !!  It could be a magazine or calender page that was framed !!  How they are done is to lay the frame down face first, then a glass, then matting, then picture is centered and secured, sometimes a thin piece of cardstock on that then dust cover is glued in place !! And last a heavier piece of cardboard as backing before the tacks are added !!  It appears to be something that was done simply for an art piece to use as a decorative piece !! Since it isn`t signed and is primitive in technique it would not be worth a lot and water damage lessens that value.  Could be from 20`s or 30`s !! Would have to guess at that since nothing to date it by !!
many thanks for your help and info.