Author Topic: What is this dish and makers mark???  (Read 6658 times)

Trugmaker

• View Profile
What is this dish and makers mark???
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:02:57 am »
I have trawled a good Makers Marks book with 1800 marks but cannot find this one. Nor do I know what it is. The handle is a fish, so one would assume caviar - or pate. Would love to know. Anyone have an educated guess??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: What is this dish and makers mark???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:13:12 am »
It's some kind of Stafforshire. There are so many types of crown marks. I'm trying to pin it down.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Trugmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
So pleased you are struggling as well  ;)  :-\ Believe me I have spent a long time trawling the net to no avail, very frustrating as I KNOW this is not c**p. How can a nice piece with a clear(ish) mark not be listed?? And, there are two stamps - one seen here, and one embossed, but to me undecipherable. Plus the the other signed mark in gold that could be a date, but I believe it is much older than the numerals suggest, thus I strongly believe it is an edition number.
Anyway, whatever, I do so appreciate finding this site, which I will visit often as I frequently aquire items that elude me. I could write a book on the items I have found and sold for infinitely way below there value!
The only area I am knowledgeable about is Paperweights, so any questions, fire away!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »
Please post the other mark as well !!  Need to see both !!

Trugmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »
Sorry, I thought I had uploaded it - new here  :-[

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »
Hi Trugmaker Beautiful well done piece the most elaborate one I have seen in years -  but not for caviar  :)  What you have is called a  sardine box This may help in your search for a maker,  Prices are high for these little gems and in my opinion a keeper!
Here are some examples : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=antique+sardine+box

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »
Wendy,, I am curious,, note the even crazing on the bottom,, very regular,, not what I would expect from age alone !! And there is none that I can see on the rest of the piece !!  Ideas ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »
Good question mart :) the wear on the fish, lid edges & base edges shows wear for a piece with age (gold paint loss), would need to see closer photos of the outside and inside bottom ,sides & lid.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »
I saw the wear pattern but thats all I see that indicates age !! Slight paint loss !! Would be odd to not find crazing in other places as well !! The very even patterning of the crackle makes me think chemically done rather than from age !!

Trugmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:32 am »
Have added a couple of pictures. To enlighten anyone, this definitely old, not repo for certain.
Hope these pictures help. Problem is, I have already put this on eBay, wrongly described as a pate dish. Don't know what to do as it has a couple of bids and I cannot alter the description???? Thank you for the info so far.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:24:12 am »
If you observe....pate dishes and sardine dishes are widely different in value!  With the sardine being more prized.
Do you have a reserve on your item?
Can you post the listing?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:44 am »
Thanks for the inside pic !! That is much more consistant with age !! I believe you can add to but just not alter the description !!  Try that !!  Unless they changed that !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
That's true Mart....and it will show up under the sardine dish category and thus bump the bidding if the sardine people are looking!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
I would love to see the listing,, I could always ask a question and relate it to the sardine box !! Bidders do look at that stuff and it might help the price !!