Author Topic: Medical Degree from 1856  (Read 5944 times)

JeremyJackson

• View Profile
Medical Degree from 1856
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:17 am »
Here is the story about the documents I found. I was cleaning out my attic and came across a metal cylinder. I opened it to find 2 documents from 1856. They are medical degrees from the Grafenberg Medical Institute of the State of Alabama. The gentleman to whom they belonged is Yelvington Thaxton Urquhart. I did some research and found the Grafenberg was the first medical institute founded in Alabama. It was founded in 1852 by Philip Sheperd and closed in 1861 due to his death and the war. The building burned down several years later. According to records- about 50 students graduated from the school. Mr. Thaxton went on to be a surgeon in the Civil War. I took the documents to the state archives to check the authenticity and they believed them to be original copies. There is some damage at the tops of the documents. So my question is- is there any value in these documents and if so, what do I do with them? I have attached several pictures of the two documents. Any help or insight is appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Medical Degree from 1856
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:08 am »
Most of the value would be to descendants of that person !! Possibly a Civil war collector would be interested !! But in terms of money,,don`t go buy that Cadillac yet !!  I would say value would be minimal !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:58 am »
Jeremy what a wonderful find in historic and genealogical value for that family! 

I came across this link to a genealogical site with postings from a descendant of Y.T. Urquhart. Though it's dated from 2009 I'm sure members family would be thrilled to be offered the opportunity to possess something of such value to their history considering their obvious interest and research.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1993&p=localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.early

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »
I agree Sapphire. That person would probably be thrilled to have something like that.

yattypat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »
I agree that it is very cool.  How often do you see something like that.  I think the value is personal only. Just my opinion.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:48:04 pm »
If you decide to sell the items, you really should contact the family and at least give them an opportunity to buy them first !!  Not worth much to anyone else !!

alli5118

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
Jeremy - I am a descendant of Dr. Phillip Madison Shepard, Sr. - I would LOVE to have this if you have not already located family of the physician of award or made other arrangements for it. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.  Thank you! ~Allison Turner
~Allison R. Turner

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »
Allison, that is the one and only time that Jeremy has been here !!  He did have his email address on his profile though !! Click on his name and email him direct !!  Good luck !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »
I actually know someone with that last name. But she's black and from Detroit. I kinda doubt it belonged to one of her ancestors.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:57:26 am »
I thought it was extremely odd that she would be in this forum. I would not trust anyone without documentation!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

alli5118

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:40 am »
Thank you for the recommendation to contact him via his email address. I found this forum via a google search on the Medical Institute as a part of family tree research! I do collect antiques so, it's been nice to find this site as well. Will keep you all posted!

~Allison
~Allison R. Turner

alli5118

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »
And to pacify those seeking 'documentation'....I'll happily supply copies of wills, birth certificates, Civil War pension records, property deeds, etc. -- a lot of which is visible on my family tree at ancestry.com.
~Allison R. Turner

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »
VERY cool! you might also see if the historical society in the town where the medical school was has an interest in it. Wonderful find!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 06:28:32 pm »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

alli5118

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:46 am »
THANK YOU! We have several contacts in the area and I need to connect with the historical society and plan a visit.  We have collected several different items connected to the school.  My aunt and uncle have one large framed certificate from the school - it's about 3 ft x 5 ft - you don't see things like those any longer - which is why I jumped at this one. I hope I can connect with this gentleman or with others that may have them.  I would love to find any with any of the Shepards as either recipients or as the signator. 

~Allison R. Turner