Author Topic: Farm Table  (Read 5597 times)

seva

• View Profile
Farm Table
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »
Hello,
Does anyone know anything about this farm table?  I was told it is walnut.
Thank you.

sugarcube

• View Profile
Re: Farm Table
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:20:19 pm »
pls someone explain what makes a farm table?  Just one used on a farm or is there anything specific to a farm table?  I see tables sell that probably wouldn't sell for the amount they are except the term used

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »
I interpret that to mean that the table has a certain rustic appearance.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:04 am »
For the "pureist", me thinks a "farm table" is a solid wood kitchen "dining/work" table, from 4' to 8' long, with maybe a drawer for utensils and/or "breadboard" ends.

One can often find them now days that have been covered with linoleum and a metal band aroung the edge to hold it in place.

These can be found anywhere on "the farm" because when the wifey got a new kitchen table there was always a need for the "old" one somewhere else on the farm. 

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:38 am »
cougar--you gave me great information--on farm tables and I just gotta ask-how do flamingos bend their knees if they are on backwards!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:11 am »
This looks like a 60`s occassional table that has simply may have been repurposed !! More commonly a farm style table is simple design, usually a scrubbed top made to be versatile for most kitchen jobs from baking to dining !! Legs and bottom may be stained or painted !! But many use the term for lack of a better one !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:59 am »
and I just gotta ask-how do flamingos bend their knees if they are on backwards!
Sugarcube, they bend them backward, look at that picture of the flamingo, or any flamingo. When they bend their legs their knees point backward.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »
I think that we will need some photos of the construction on the underside in order to get a feel for its age. Any visible screw heads? Look for off center hand-slotted screwdriver slots in the heads, iron strapping, straight or circular saw marks. Also upclose shots on any hardware.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:57 am »
Seva, as Talesof stated above a few more pictures would be needed for further critiquing of your table.

From the above picture it doesn’t look to me like it is made of walnut. “Utility” tables were not often made of walnut. If it was American made, ……. and I say that because there have been quite a few posters of lately from the UK, etc., that have been fending questions on this Forum, …… then I will venture a guess that it is made of poplar, circa 1800’s, because of the “simplicity” of the design/construction and the “tabletop” board looks to be a “4-quarter” board (4/4” or 1 inch in thickness).   

If one knew how all the wood pieces were “joined” together then its age could be better guessed at. And the “value” of such a piece depends on the locale. It should sell for more in the East or North East than in the South or South West, US.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
Right Cogar,, it might bring $50. here in the south depending on age !! Even if older,, not much more !!  Those leg turnings just look 60`s to me !! Of course better pics may say older !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
I hope you meant 1860's because that is not an atypical leg for that circa primitive/country furniture,

see this circa 1835 Plantation Desk at Ruby Lane.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/570989-25367/American-Pine-Two-Piece-Plantation

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:44 pm »
Please see the other thread about the same table:

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=11452.0

2nd half of the 19th century was also my guess. I'll say 1870s. 

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »
I think those plastic tips on the legs did it for me !! Would have to see more before changing my mind !! Looks like much later English design to me !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:04 am »
HA, I didn't even notice them, Mart.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:41 am »
I've bought genuine antiques with replacement casters and plastic and metal furniture tips. People apply those routinely.

It would of course help to be in the same room with the table. Then much would become clear. The turnings on the legs still look Victorian to me.

-Broderick Crawford