Author Topic: SEGA Gaming Display Case  (Read 6017 times)

Accomp

SEGA Gaming Display Case
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »
Hi all, first time poster here - I'm having trouble tracking one of these down online to get an idea of what it's worth. I found this metal SEGA display case at a local antique shop for $30. It's about 6 feet tall and in very good condition, including the etched SEGA logo on the glass - The only thing I don't have is the key to the lock (it's currently unlocked).

I don't assume it's very old, maybe early 90's. But game collectors seem to go crazy for things like this - so I was curious if anyone had seen how something like this was worth.

Thanks in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: SEGA Gaming Display Case
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »
Have no idea about its worth,, but you should easily make money on it !!  If you could find a key that works with it or have one made, would make a nice gun safe, or just what you are using it for,, video/game storage !!  Just guessing,, you could probably get $150. for it !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:49 pm »
Don't take a penny less than $150 for it. With gamers nostalgic for their childhoods (I'm not a gamer, but that was part of my childhood), and the practical uses a cabinet like that can used for, it's a bachelor's dream come true.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

wendy177

• View Profile

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:59 pm »
While that Nintendo one is cool, it's not very practical. Unless you have one of the old systems, it's not going to be used for much. And $500? It should come with the NES, a couple of controllers and about ten games for that price.

buddhanot

• I'm the oldest antique in town.
    • View Profile
    • Antiques Online
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:04 am »
I guess 30 is pretty low . Are you collecting this?

aDawn

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:44 am »
$30.00 seems like a steal, I agree there are people out there who would pay $100+ for gaming memorabilia. I myself am more of an NES gal ;)  But I know some die hard Genesis fans, too.

Accomp

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
I guess 30 is pretty low . Are you collecting this?

I'm not much of a collector, just have some stuff I've picked up over the years, so figured the case would be a good place to hold it all. Was just curious if I should look into selling the case or just hold on to it. Could probably be worth more over time I suppose, as Genesis becomes more vintage.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
Now is a great time to sell Sega memorabilia though. The people that remember it fondly are more or less in their 20s and 30s now. As time goes on, the bachelors get married and their wives remind them that they can't have furniture that says "Sega" on it. The market for it will be a lot smaller in five years.