Author Topic: Riverbed object... Any ideas?  (Read 4379 times)

brendantc

• View Profile
Riverbed object... Any ideas?
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
Hello all, I joined this forum today because of an object I found in the river a few weeks ago. I live in the Blue Ridge foothills near Hendersonville, NC, and the object in question was found in the Green River, just south of town. Anyway, I was wading in the shallows looking for interesting rocks on the bottom when I spied something different. At first I thought it was a vertebrae from a very large animal, but after pulling it up I noticed that it was made of stone. It seems to be some kind of old carved stone tool or "switch." It is very strange. The best way I can describe it is a "cylindrical stone switch." One end of the cylinder has notches in it to "catch" and turn something, and the other end has a very obvious "knob" for turning. Parts of it are very smooth and might have been craved by a machine, but other parts are very rough. However, I can't tell if the rough parts are from hand carving, or from erosion, where small pieces and chucks have been chipped away by traveling down the river. Also note: the area of the river it was found in has very strong rapids and is know for its whitewater. I cant imagine it's been sitting on the bottom long with the current being so strong in that area. I have no earthly idea what era this is from or what it might have been used for, and it could turn out to be quite modern, but I am very curious all the same, so I thought I would give you guys a shot at it. Pictures are below. Let me know what you think. Thanks so much! -Brendan in NC.

p.s. the last image is analysis work someone did from another forum to explain some of the features on the bottom of the object. His quote...

"I am no engineer, but here is what I think:
It appears that some sort of spring-loaded armature was pushed back by the rounded sides of the prominence at the bottom (something like the sear in a pistol trigger mechanism). That armature left wear facets at the corners on both sides, and the wear appears to me to be from counterclockwise rotation."

When rotated further, the armature snapped into the right-angled recesses (detents). The table at the bottom of each detent could be simply a positioning guide to keep the armature at "just such" a depth in the recess.

This switch knob (if that's what it is) almost has to be electrical. If it were simply mechanical, I don't see how the position of the switch (in one or the other detent) would make any difference."

p.s.s. Many have guessed this to be a ceramic telegraph insulator, and I know it looks like one, but i've been told by several collectors of the objects that this is not an insulator. Or at least not one thats in the books. I would point out that the bottom for the object obviously points to a different purpose. Don't you think?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Riverbed object... Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »
Every pic is only a piece of this object !!  Can we see the entire thing in one pic, front and back ??

brendantc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »
Of course... I have many more pictures, I was just limited by the four pics per post... thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »
I have searched a few rivers in my life although just the ones here locally !! We collected artifacts from the Caddo Indian culture !! Many times especially if in fast flowing water, the item may be very different now from what it started out like !!  Part of it looks like a simple rope or line guide of some sort !!  That bottom pic looks like it should sit in a slot and  turn to lock in !! Or the smaller end fit in a slot, rope or line guide in middle and the other end,, maybe a cutting edge ??  I am thinking of something off a very old ship ??   It looks like it could be native american except for that bottom and that looks more modern !! Hopefully a few of our other members can chime in tomorrow !!  Its certainly interesting !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 03:35:38 am »
I hafa question that it is made of stone.

Anyway, me thinks it a rachetting "winding" key, like the (non-raxhetting) ones on an old mechanical "alarm" clock

The round center portion is the "bearing" for holding it firmly in place.

What it was used for "winding up" I wouldn't have a clue.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:41 am »
In looking at that last pic,, the appearance of the material looks like granite !!

brendantc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:02:26 pm »
Thanks all! It feels heavy like stone when you hold it, but I will also agree that its not likely. Guess I need to bring it to a ceramics expert.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »
It isn`t ceramic !!  What it is,, still havent figured out !! Was hoping Rauville and Frogpatch would take a look !! Cogar and those two can usually figure things out !!  Maybe tomorrow !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:19 pm »
I'll toss in my 2 cents on this little 'found' item , brendantc ....

I smell electricity on this one .

I'd say that it came from something that was used in a 'momentary' spring-loaded application , most probably a starter switch for a fossil-fueled engine , or a boat horn .

It may also have been a switch for a 'bridge horn/signal horn' ... wondering if there is/was a 'draw-bridge' in the up-stream vicinity of your find ...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:29:03 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
Looks carved rock to me....

Have you been able to make a small "Scratch" on it in a somewhat inconspicuous place?  Is it easy to scratch?
Does it feel cold to the touch?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

brendantc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »
Looks carved rock to me....

Have you been able to make a small "Scratch" on it in a somewhat inconspicuous place?  Is it easy to scratch?
Does it feel cold to the touch?

I have not "scratched" it but take a look a this picture. There is a wear mark like this on either side. It does feel cold to the touch.... I guess.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:03 am »
Considering the fact it looks to be 4 ½ inches long and 3 inches in diameter it musta been made for a “big” latching job.

I think it is a molded piece and not carved out of stone for a couple reasons.

Stone is not an easy thing to carve, especially those “inside” square corners of the “dogs” as seen in picture #3 of 1st post. Thus, it would have been a really "labor intensive", one time job, for someone to have done in the past 200 years.

On the schematic in the 4th picture where the Poster labeled as “wear facets” is not so because if they were they would be completely around the surface.

Anyway;D ;D on closer scrutiny me thinks it is a “key” of some type. In the 1st picture, the only reason for the shape of those “grooves” cut diagonally across the knob portion would not be to turn it, but to hold onto it when “lifting”, “inserting” and/or “pulling” on it, as the Poster demonstrates in pic #2.     

And iffen it is a “key”, then it explains my quandary concerning the “ratchet” dogs as pictured on said schematic because they function in both directions, whichever way the “key” is turned.

Now for the good part,  :D :D  iffen it is a “key”, then it was “handmade” for a “handmade” locking mechanism ….. and thus could very well be carved out of stone to insure the owner had the only “key” that fit the lock.

And if the above is so, then who knows when or who made the “key” because North Carolina’s history of human occupation dates back to 12,000 years BP (before present). To wit: http://www.archaeology.ncdcr.gov/ncarch/articles/1stcolo.htm

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31:57 am »
Was there ever a power plant on the Green River? I would think perhaps whatever this object was connected with had to do with high voltage. That's my non-educated seat of the pants guess.

brendantc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:32 pm »
There was and still is a power plant on the river. I've learned that the local history museum has a speaker that worked for Duke Power for vover 40 years. Hopefully, though them, I can ask him some questions.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:35 am »
Let us know what you find out !!