Author Topic: Mishap Explanation  (Read 1591 times)

dubiemo

• View Profile
Mishap Explanation
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:21 am »
 :-[After moving from CA. to CO. and retrieving the buffet from storage, I noticed top was coming loose. Spoke with a man at church who did wood working and asked if he could reattach the top for me. He said yes. When I went to pick it up, I found he had sanded the top and re-stained it, he had screwed small squares of wood to the claw feet (which caused a split up one side), and put on new hardware (even though I told him I had the original pieces). How much damage does that do to the value? I feel like a fool!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Mishap Explanation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:39:45 am »
How much damage ??  More than you want to know about !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:39:54 am »
Sounds like overkill on his part, trying to "improve" the piece.

New hardward and a sanded, refinished top? I'm afraid you've lost alot of value my friend. Can't say just how much without seeing it. Perhaps if you post some pictures using Mart's words as a guideline, we can tell more.

Sorry about your "mishap." Don't feel foolish, though. You trusted him, and he should have (at the least) called you before doing this work.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
It just blows my mind that any reasonably intelligent person would do that !!  Especially without asking !! And worse,, its usually those that claim to know antiques !!  When I had my shop I had to deal with these things pretty regularly !!  Between that and paint,, drove me nuts !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
The problem I have with my kids alot of the time....ASK!!!  A simple little word that people don't get the concept.  He should have asked!!!!!  Good intentions aren't always best!!!
Sorry!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dubiemo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »
Then had the nerve to charge me $370.00! So sad.