Author Topic: 18th Century Spanish Colonial Nicho  (Read 3809 times)

sleepless

• View Profile
18th Century Spanish Colonial Nicho
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:43:38 am »
I believe this to be an 18th century Spanish Colonial nicho.  I have done extensive research online and have only been able to find 2 examples of 18th century nichos but have found a multitude of 19th century and later examples.  I concluded that this one must be 18th century because of the santos depicted on the insides of the doors.  All of the 19th century and later examples had very simple floral designs, such as the designs on the outsides of these doors.  Also, the polychrome painting style resembles the Cuzco style of the Spanish colonial era.

The doors on this nicho are no longer attached to the box part.  The hinge hardware appears to have been made with brass wire.  There is what appears to be glue residue on top and no paint on the top and bottom edges, indicating there had once been a decorative top and/or molding.

Measurements:  6.5" X 9.75" x 3.5" (outside dimensions).  Each of the doors are:  3.25" x 9".

Can someone give me any info on my nicho?  Am I correct in dating it as 18th century?  Any opinion as to the value and the market for this item in its current condition?  Thank you!

sleepless

• View Profile
Re: 18th Century Spanish Colonial Nicho
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »
Um, did I say or do something wrong?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:09:44 pm »
No !! Of course not !! I looked a bit for you but frankly,, it is way out of my area of expertise !!  I was hoping some of the others that are more knowledgable would get in here !!  We have had so  many questions lately that you just have to keep bumping it up or it winds up on the back page !!  I do  apologize that you thought that !!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:14:45 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »
I have no expertise with this.

But I like it! Very cool  8)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »
May I ask where and how you can into this piece?  (Helps with narrowing this down.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sleepless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:00 am »
May I ask where and how you can into this piece?  (Helps with narrowing this down.)

I acquired it about 5 years ago from a neighbor's estate.  He had been a diplomat and had photos of himself with Hoover.  I know that he had traveled extensively and went to mass every Sunday.  Unfortunately, I never got a chance to ask him about the nicho so I have no further info than that.  It has been packed away in a box since I acquired it and I am now downsizing and renouncing my hoarder lifeatyle.

Recently, since I posted this, an expert in Spanish Colonial art that I had sent photos to expressed an interest in purchasing the nicho.  I suggested that he make an offer and he responded that it was up to me to set the price.  Being a virtual novice and having only acquired this because I am attracted to objects that appear to have a history, I have no clue what price to set.   How does one arrive at an asking price for something like this?  Most of the prior auction prices I have found have been for 19th century and later nichos.  I have only found 2 currently listed for sale and they are larger, or much more elaborate or in perfect condition.  I thought of putting it up for auction on eBay but I can't decide on a starting price.  Any advice?

Thank you so much for responding, I was beginning to squirm. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
Christies Auction,, one of the major auction houses in the U.S. has an online appraisal service !!  Why don`t you send them good clear pics and size and ask their opinion !!  They should give a broad enough approx value that you have a starting point !! If you can sell it and get a good price,, thats probably what I would do !!  Ebay is too much of a crap shoot unless you have a reserve on it !!  There again you need an appraisal so you would know what reserve price to put on it !! So try Christies before you sell or list on Ebay !!  And their service is free !! Of course they hope that if its a good item you consign it with them !! But that would be up to you !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 02:39:08 pm »
Wise advice.  If someone asks you "how much" that is an "expert" then seller perk up...and see what you have in hand.

It doesn't hurt to inquire with the big auction houses!  You will need to know the person's name you got it from, when, etc. to help establish provenance.  So, knowing some history on your neighbor will help as well.

I am afraid this is one of those items that it REALLY needs a hands-on inspection...this is to your benefit!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sleepless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »
I will definitely take your advice and check with Christies.  Thank you, Mart and KC, and all of the rest of you who so generously share your knowledge and expertise.  I have learned a great deal from this site and I am very grateful.

Off to Christies!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
Please come back and tell us the results !! That way we learn as well !!

sleepless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:32 pm »
Will do!  I've sent pics and all info to Christies.  If and when I get a response, I'll be back.  Thanks again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:22 pm »
Thanks!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 05:26:48 am »
Don't forget about us :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford