Author Topic: Thread for Reproductions  (Read 1133 times)

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
Thread for Reproductions
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:55 am »
Reproductions really get under my skin...Could we maybe start another thread of photos of reproductions so newbies know what they are looking at when purchasing?

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
Re: Thread for Reproductions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:36 am »
This is one I see VERY often. These 9 times out of 10 are NOT old. This is not my photo I found it online.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:37:21 am »
antiquesnsuch - there is another section on Antique-Shop.com that you can put this information labeled: Special Threads and Exceptional Information -
This category is for exceptionally informative threads that we come across time to time. It is only available to members.

This section is for questions regarding items.

If you go to that section on the main page you will enjoy the threads there I am sure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:57:16 pm »
Good idea! It is kind of 'buyer beware' when it comes to reproductions. Some things don't show age as much as others and as one expert in Egyptian antiquities told me, even the best museum curators in the world have been fooled by forgeries. The more detailed photo examples we can provide of things like patina, antique hardware and tool marks, the better equipped we are to spot a repro when one comes our way.
Antiqueaholic in recovery