Author Topic: strange vase/container  (Read 1448 times)

Noarth

• View Profile
strange vase/container
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »
Hi all,
I already know I messed up by soaking this thing in water and mild soap which has given it a milky look now.  I honestly didn't think water would hurt and as I could scrap off the dark stuff with my fingernail I thought that would make it easier..../sigh    Anyways.. anyone have any idea how to start researching this thing?  Usually I can find a marking which I can follow to know what metal it is but what you see is what I get and the symbol isn't really distinguishable... could be a fancy M like the Virgo symbol... could be a lot of things.  I am afraid to clean it further without knowing what the metal is... It has a brass/bronze/golden type of colour with dark spots on it and now the whitish tarnish which I can scratch off with my nails.  Any help is appreciated at this point.  Thanks!
Noarth

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: strange vase/container
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »
I've had 2 or 3 of them over the years. I always thought they dated back to the 1970's, and even that might be generous. If you check eBay you can find 6 or 8 of them. Most of the sellers describe them as being "brass", but I would disagree. I think they are cast metal with a brass colored plating.

Check this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/102220819/italian-metal-pitcher-wfloral-design

Noarth

• View Profile
Re: strange vase/container
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:37 pm »
Wow.. that is mine exactly except for the size.. mine is 12 inches tall.  I didn't even know that it came apart until you posted that....lol  I will buy some brass polish next and see what that does.. looking the way it does right now is worse than when I found it so anything is an improvement.  Thanks getting me started....now to start on that marking