Author Topic: Warped wooden table  (Read 1755 times)

dancing

• View Profile
Warped wooden table
« on: October 21, 2004, 07:29:21 pm »
What is the easiest way to fix a warped mahogoney drop leaf table with 4 claw metal feet.  The warpage is on both of the drop leaf.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 07:36:31 pm by dancing »

Tim

• View Profile
Warped wooden table
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:12:11 pm »
Hi.......this is the way I do it.........This method works better on a piece that has been stripped. You can try it either way.........also works best in the summer on the driveway when it's hot, hot, hot...........
Remove leaf and all hardware
Place wet towel on driveway
Place leaf or warped board convex side up on wet towel
Place dry towel on top of leaf board for protection
Place heavy weight distributed throughout the leaf. Sometimes I will         place boards on top of the dry towel then distribute weight,             depending on the size of the warped board.
By weight I mean a lot but not so much you crack the board. Concrete     blocks etc.........
Sometimes takes 2-3 days......check often........the hotter the day the         better this works.
As soon as the warp has been taken care of, immediately sand, stain         and finish both sides of the leaf. Your trying to remove moisture         from one side and put it on the other side.
If you not refinishing the leaf I would still put a finish coat on the underside to keep it from further warping.......good luck.......
___________________ _
best............... ........Tim
I have gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Warped wooden table
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:15:14 pm »
:o Hey' tim were useing a dreaded word, for furniture.WATER ! but you know what? I've had to use the wet towel, my self. I hate the word SAND.  but in some cases it has to be done.

Tim

• View Profile
Warped wooden table
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 10:02:32 am »
Aye! Aye! D&B tis true......but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. In reality it's moving moisture from one area and putting it in another. Most boards warp because someone doesn't take the time to finish both sides of the board properly........... .......

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)