Author Topic: Previous owner of my home left behind two antiques (French console, Portrait)  (Read 4649 times)

eyal 951

• View Profile
I bought a short sale, so a bunch of items were left behind, a couple of which are antique. I'd love to learn more about them, and maybe an approximate value.

The first item is a French Console. The previous owner claims he paid $900 for it, and considering some of the items he had in the house, that seems like a legitimate claim. (whether its worth that or not is another story) The second item is a hand painted portrait from 1908 I stumbled upon in the garage. I know nothing more about it, but I can answer questions requiring closer observation.

I pulled both of these out of the garage and took photos. I didn't clean them up, so they are dirty and dust covered. (I dont know how to properly clean a painting, so I decided its better to leave it be) If cleaned up, they seem to be in pretty good condition.

The console has only been in the garage since December, when I moved it there during a home remodel. I have no idea how long the painting has been there however.

Album with a couple extra images here: http://imgur.com/a/hOB4Y

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Your console looks like a commode or even a smoking stand from the early 20th century. I've got a smoking stand with a door very similar in shape to yours, but without the drawer above. It's conceivable that a commode could have been kept behind the little door, though it was probably too...urrr..little. 

These days people use them as nightstands, and they're very well suited for the purpose. The previous owner may very well have paid $900 for it in better economic times. It may be worth half that now, maybe a little more or less, depending on where you are.

You must be a very smart person. Why? Because you were wise enough to know that you don't know how to clean a painting, so best to leave it alone for now.  I don't know anything about it, but I like it and suspect that it's worth getting professionally cleaned.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I totally agree with the summation of the cabinet - smoking stand or commode stand.
Can you please take a pic with the door open? Is it lined or plain wood?  

For now just use a clean, dry brush to gently clean off the painting.  Nice find!  Just the age (betting towards end of Victorian times) helps the value.

Just saw the post frogpatch - nice find!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:32:00 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
The commode would have typically held a chamber pot although this one may have been used differently in later years !!
Cleaning a painting is not difficult,, dirt and dust wears on the surface and does more damage than anything !!  First take it out of the frame !! Then just take a pint of distilled water and add a teaspoon of Dawn dish soap !!  Plain kind, not one with additives like bleach or fragrances, then dust the surface off with soft brush and use a soft cloth, damp only not soaking wet, and the water & soap to get the remaining dirt off !! Can use an artists brush if paint is thick like an impasto to get dirt out of creases !! When all dirt and grime is gone, place a fan in front and let dry a couple of hours !! Then reframe !!  Once paint, no matter if oil or acrylic is dry, ( and this can take from 3 or 4 months to a year) it is very stable !!  What can be damaged is the canvas most often and that can ruin the painting !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Didn't know if they want to sell of not Mart.  If selling I wouldn't clean like Mart suggested - people prefer aged!

If keeping, then clean up more.

Wanted to know if the inside has metal all around or porcelain (then it definitely is for storing tobacco).  If just on the bottom is for a chamber pot - of if nothing at all - chamber pot.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Dirt would reduce the sale price !! If a potential buyer sees dust and grime on a painting,, first thing they think is that it will cost  a hundred or more to have it cleaned and then not be so anxious to buy it !!  Dirt does not enhance a paintings value !!

eyal 951

• View Profile
Thanks for the great info so far!

I took a couple photos of the inside for you, let me know what your thoughts are.

mart

• View Profile
Construction of that drawer and patina of the wood tells me that this is a pretty early piece !! It was cut with hand tools !! What makes you think it is French ??

eyal 951

• View Profile
Simply because the previous owner told me that it was, no other reason! While I am fascinated by antiques, I am not well educated in them.

mart

• View Profile
Can you get a little better shot of the carved detail ??

eyal 951

• View Profile
Sure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Not a humidor (smoking cabinet) - at least not one that you would see finely fitted out - such as the one shown below

This inside of this one was used to hold a "pot" - lined in marble

I am leaning toward yours being a nightstand!  What are the dimensions?  Most were around 33" in height.

Mart it does have French flair to it....but being a French enthusiast....somet hing doesn't make me jump on board yet.  I have seen many pieces brought in, same colors and styles....hmmmmmmmm mmm

eyal 951

• View Profile
33 3/4" tall.

its 18.5" wide, and 14.5" from back to front. Both measured across the top.

mart

• View Profile
Try googling "French Louis XVI nightstands" and I think you can see similarities in those and yours !! Toward the bottom there is one similar except it had a lower shelf called a "chevet" listed on Ruby Lane !!