Author Topic: Hoping someone can help me find out what this is? and if worth anything :)  (Read 4393 times)

clair1986

• View Profile
Found this sat in my loft was given to me a fair few years ago.

anyone have any idea what it is or anything about it at all would be gratefully recived thanks 

cogar

• View Profile
What you have is a  -  Fostoria "American" pattern, footed fruit bowl.

Google the above and you should easily fiind it.

clair1986

• View Profile
What you have is a  -  Fostoria "American" pattern, footed fruit bowl.

Google the above and you should easily fiind it.

Thank you will google now :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Good for punchbowl purposes too ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
Check the foot,, Fostoria American should be a ground foot rather than molded !!  Small pieces are three piece mold !! Could be Indiana or one of the several others that made a similar pattern !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
This is a American Pattern by Fostoria Glass Co., 1915-86. It came in many colors Amber, Blue, Canary, Ebony, etc. I went over my book several times to make sure.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
Don’t buy American, ……… Fostoria glass that is, …. before you read the “link” cited below.

Like anything that is extremely successful, American has spawned lookalikes and wannabes. The two pattern lines that cause the greatest confusion are Cube, a.k.a. Cubist, by Jeannette Glass Co. and Whitehall by Indiana Glass Co. While remarkably similar at first glance, there are differences to look for that will help you tell the patterns apart.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abu/y201/m05/abu0038/s06

mart

• View Profile
Indiana also made a similar line, I have a few pieces in my china cabinet that I am trying to figure the pattern/maker that are so similar its difficult !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
It was difficult. That's why I went over it two or three times. I'm still not positive.

mart

• View Profile
Right !!  Thats why I added the note about the ground foot and mold differences !! Helps a bit !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
The bowl does look identical to the one in the book, but it's not in the light like this bowl. The base is the same, but that may not mean anything.

cogar

• View Profile
If the dimensions of the pictured bowl is 12" w  by 7 1/4" h .... then it can or may be called a -- 12" footed fruit bowl, ...... a small punch bowl .... or a Tom and Jerry bowl, .... and was produced between 1915 thru 1970, ... as per the ... Fostoria Glass Society of America, Inc.

It was listed at $125 in 1985

Current e-bay $145

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Fostoria-American-Punch-Tom-Jerry-Fruit-Bowl-2056-1-3-4-Gal-/390439856499

mart

• View Profile
All of Fostoria`s items had ground rather than molded bases/ foot !! There are other small differences such as weight, It will be heavier than others, edges should be rather sharp/crisp instead of smooth and rounded ,,,, !!  It helps if you have looked at a bunch of it and the similar ones !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
mart,You keep saying footed. Do you mean three or four feet on the bottom, and not round? I'm trying to understand what you mean. Cogar must see what I see and now I'm really curious.

cogar

• View Profile
mart,You keep saying footed. Do you mean three or four feet on the bottom,
greenacres, in this specific case "footed" does not mean "feet" as in 3 or 4 separate feet.

It is to denote the difference between a punch bowl with a separate base it sits on and the above punch bowl with the bowl and base molded together, 1 piece, not 2 pieces.

Another note of interest, if it is a punch bowl and base combo, the base itself is a bowl if you turn it upside down ....... and you can find it listed separately as a bowl.

And those who know .... list them as a Punch/Centerpiece bowl. Like this e-bay listing .........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FOSTORIA-AMERICAN-No-2056-11-FLARED-RIM-PUNCH-CENTERPIECE-BOWL-/230826823196

Click on that url and then run your mouse arrow across the small images to "zoom" them up.

And ps: My "go to" expert on Fostoria "American" ........ is my wife. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:26:59 am by cogar »