Author Topic: cribbage board  (Read 5719 times)

dubiemo

• View Profile
cribbage board
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
I know this is a cribbage board. I'm pretty sure it's ivory. What I'd like to know is who might have carved it and/or where it might have originated? Also, what are the odd swivel triangular pieces for? They are not removable.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: cribbage board
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:56:38 pm »
Oh this is fabulous! If you've got the real thing, it was probably carved by a sailor. I love the whale/sea monster. It was easy to see part of something leaping out of the water and mistake it for something else. My boat partners and I have a long-standing joke going about 'sea cats' after I once saw what was probably a stingray of some type come partially out of the water!

What you want to look for is a DOUBLE cris-crossing vein in the ivory. Compare it to the images we have here: http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6485.0 Yours will probably be more faint than the examples shown.

Be aware that there are scrimshaw fakes and reproductions galore. We can help to a certain point, but if this turns out to be antique and the sailor made piece that it looks like it could be, it may  be very valuable and so you are going to want to show this to an expert for a hands-on evaluation. A nautical museum may be able to help.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:00:04 pm »
The triangular piece that extends out is a 'fid' used for loosening tight knots. If this is the real thing, you're going to have quite an exciting find! How did you come by this piece by the way? That may help us get an idea about its history.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:01:44 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dubiemo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »
My grandfather gave it to my mother who gave it to me. Unfortunately that one triangle is the only survivor. :'( But you can see the remainders of the other three.

dubiemo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
I tried the hot needle and got no smoke nor smell, but it left no markings either. I'm in Colorado and don't think there are many nautical experts in these parts. Could you point me in the right direction for authentication? We've fallen on hard times and if my 30 yrs. of hanging onto this stuff could pay off, it could mean the difference between a roof over our heads and homelessness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. Grandpa lived and spent most of his life in San Francisco, CA. Wasn't a sailor but collected his share of antiques.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »
$$$$ Research on Antque Roadshow. I've seen this many timts on the show. I would have it lookrd at by someone.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:13:28 am »
"if my 30 yrs. of hanging onto this stuff could pay off, it could mean the difference between a roof over our heads and homelessness."

Sorry to hear that! It would be sad to have to part with a family antique in exchange for a roof, but you do what you have to do. I recently had to part with my lifelong collection of vinyl records, accumulated over a period of decades, for a similar reason.

Hang in there and things will get better!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:58:35 am »
Couple of things can help !!  A reputable museum, or Christies Auction House online appraisals !!  You can email pics for an appraisal !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
Just be careful. Get a couple prices to be safe.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 02:42:15 pm »
Wise advice....get several appraisals.  If a big name auction house shows interest....then you know you have a winner!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dubiemo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »
E-mailed pictures and what little info. I had to West Sea Co. in CA. Was told it was Eskimo made, walrus tusk and the early part of this century. Gentleman said it was a seal eating a fish, not serpent. Anyway, doesn't look like it will be worth as much as hoped :-\. Thanks for the help though. Looks like I may have to sacrifice some of the good stuff.  ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:45 am »
I wouldn't have thought Eskimos were big cribbage players. ;D

And why would an early 20th Century Eskimo be carving 3 tree leafs on the front of it?  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:22:35 am by cogar »

aDawn

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:21:19 pm »
If I were you, I'd get a second opinion just to be sure.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:24 am »
HA, that fish grabber in the 2nd picture of 1st post kinda, maybe looks like one of those in the 2 pictures @
 http://www.sandiegodigitalphotos.com/San_Diego_photos/Seal_silver_with_black_spots_Casa_Beach.html

And right you are, aDawn, because seals can be found in lots of places other than the Arctic.