Author Topic: LOOKING FOR HELP IDENTIFYING OLD COIN / MEDALLION  (Read 4954 times)

maxstuh

• View Profile
LOOKING FOR HELP IDENTIFYING OLD COIN / MEDALLION
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »
Hi There!

This is my first time posting. I have an old coin / medallion, and I unfortunately do not know anything about it. It is in a different language...maybe Latin? There is some detailed engraving on each side of the piece, but it has worn over time and it is difficult to read. There is a triangle with lines through it on one side, and the other side says, I believe, "alphard...something ." I looked up "alphard" and it is the brightest star in the constellation Hydra. Perhaps this is some sort of astrological medallion? As far as size, the piece is just a bit larger than a US quarter and 3-4 times the weight. I have always wondered what this might be, and I am hoping one of you might be able to help me out. I have searched everywhere online and I can't even find another image of this triangle symbol. Hmmm...

Have any of you ever seen anything like this? I am not sure if it is extremely old or just heavily worn. It is made of a heavy metal...silver maybe? Apologies, it is a bit dirty in the attached photos. I don't want to clean it if it is old. 

I HAD TROUBLE UPLOADING IMAGES TO THIS FORUM, BUT THEY CAN BE VIEWED VIA THIS LINK:

http://www.coinforums.com/world-ancient-coins/1201-looking-help-identifying-old-coin-medallion.html

THANKS FOR ANY HELP! 

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR HELP IDENTIFYING OLD COIN / MEDALLION
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:45:32 pm »
I can't get a clear enough view to identify the language, but the work looks like it was done by hand.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

maxstuh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »
Thanks for your response.  Yea, unfortunately I can't get a good read on it holding it up close either.  It is quite worn.  Appreciate your feedback.  Have you ever seen the triangle symbol?

Thanks again!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:02 pm »
Maybe it some sort of compass.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:48 am »
I have not seen the triangle symbol.

This looks interesting enough that you may have to take it to a hard-core coin expert for identification and valuation.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:19:36 am »
It would help to know where you got the coin ?? Found, bought, inherited ??? And your location !!  I can not get the pic to come up at all so I can`t see it !! If you have problems uploading try resizing the pic !! I think 2000kb is good for this site !!  Larger may not work !!

Thor

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »
Is that a loop on the top to attach it to something?

When you noted how heavy it is I wondered if it is really a lead weight for a plumb line (which could run through the loop at top.)

maxstuh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:43:52 pm »
Hey All!  Thanks for your responses.  I really appreciate it.  There IS a broken loop-hole at the top.  I thought perhaps this was some sort of old necklace.  I have had this since I was a child, and I am 34 now.  I honestly have no idea where it came from, but I always made a point to keep it with me.  I am located in the Los Angeles area, so I am sure there are some great experts out here who could help me identify this.  I am originally from Alaska though.  Anyone know of any good dealers/shops in the LA area? 

Interesting note about it being a lead weight for a plumb line.  I will have to look more into that, although I know those are usually pointed at the bottom, right?  Hmmm...  :)

Thank you all for your input.  This is fun!  Like I said, I have had this my whole life, and I figured it was time to figure this thing out.  I am going to get it appraised soon, and I will be sure to report back to all of you.  Thanks again!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:48 am »
I  kind of agree with the poster suggesting it could be a plumb bob.  The triangle design leads to the point on the bottom where if suspended close enough to the ground could serve the same purpose as the conventional pointed bob.  Its a bit small for a bob but the weight (four times the weight of a twenty-five cent piece) may keep it from being wind blown. The writing is just a little small to identify, at first I thought it may be Greek or Arabic but...............

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
It is not ..... nor never was .... a “plumb bob”, that’s for sure.

It looks to me like it was originally a “pendulum weight” for a small clock ….. that someone has carried around in their pocket for many years …… maybe as a “fob” on their key ring or chain.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »
It looks like the right size for that, but why go to the trouble of inscribing both sides of a pendulum bob when one side will never be seen?

I wonder if the diagram on the reverse has something to do with how the piece is used? ???

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:59 am »
First of all they don't inscribe both sides of a pendulum bob, ...... they inscribe both side of the mold that is used for making those type bobs.

Secondly the bobs may have been purchased from a vendor by the clockmaker.

And thirdly no one really pays any attention to a clock pendulum other than to make sure the clock is still "ticking".

Thor

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:41 am »
cougar, not the end of a pendulum, but the end of a plumb line used in carpentry to make something straight up and down or "plumb".  That's a "plumb bob".

Oooo, wait, I read the rest of your post (missed it at first, my mistake!)  Thought you were mixing the two, sorry. 

Interesting idea to think it could be a pendulum weight, but agree with you that it is strange to inscribe/mark both sides as few people look at the pendulum ever.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:56:04 am by Thor »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:00 pm »
Might have more luck reading it if you could post pics here !!  Then we can enlarge to see wording !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:30:38 am »
Interesting idea to think it could be a pendulum weight, but agree with you that it is strange to inscribe/mark both sides as few people look at the pendulum ever.

Thor, don't be agreeing with me about that because it was not I who thought it was strange,

On the contrary, I would probably think it strange if both sides were not inscribed with something.

Concerning items such as that, moldmakers are not a bit bashful about "adding" something to the per say "backside" of an item.

See below, .... the one on the upper-right looks to be "cast" and probably has something on the backside.