Author Topic: Amethyst Glass Bottle - Old or New?  (Read 1589 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Amethyst Glass Bottle - Old or New?
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:28:36 am »
This bottle just turned up and I never paid any attention to it. I was looking for something to stick a flower in and when I looked at it closer it had a few characteristics of an old bottle but I really can't tell. It is around 6 or 7 inches high. I am not a bottle expert. Here is what I see and maybe it will help:
The seams are very pronounced and stop just below the lip. There are several bubbles in the glass. The bottom is lop sided and when viewed from the bottom the bottom the whole thing is off center with one wall being thicker. That is not a shadow in the pic but the actual thickness on one side. There is a white paint mark where a number is painted like a price or cat. no. but it is obscured. That look like it was done very recently. The amethyst color is perfect but so was the repro Sandwich cup plate that fooled me a few years ago.
The two things that make me think it is new and made to look old is the fact that there is little bottom wear although I have a very old bottle with the label still on that has no wear. The other thing is that it is not a shape that I would relate to old but like I said I am not an expert.
I know its just a bottle but some things intrigue me and become an obsession.  I took the best pictures I could with my phone.

Thanks all

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:34:37 am by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Amethyst Glass Bottle - Old or New?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »
You don`t remember where you got it ?? From just a cursory look it looks like an older one !!  But,, most of the old purple bottles started out clear and turned purple after being exposed to the sun. Larger mouth is what was used for items like olives and such !!  Color does not look like I would expect from an old one !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »
Where does the seam stop? That tells the age. If the seam ends at the base of the neck the bottle is from1860. When the seam stops just before the lip, the bottle is from 1860-1880. If the sean touchs the lip, the bottle is 1880-1890. If the seam runs all the way to the top the bottle is from 1900's to present.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »
I have an almost identical bottle, same dimensions as yours and it appears, from your pics, that there are three or four elongated bubbles in the same general area.  The seam touches the lip and the glass disk at the bottom of the bottle.  This is in my son's collection of bottles that he left here for me to dispose of.  There is some of the label remaining that has deteriorated over the years so that no printing can be deciphered.  There is a raised marking on the very bottom of the bottle which looks lik two BB shot side by side.  I believe when he first got this bottle (I think late 80's) the partial label was in better shape and I think it had contained olives.  The glass is completely clear tho.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
I'm thinking new on this one.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford