Author Topic: OK...What's happened to art?  (Read 3924 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
OK...What's happened to art?
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:49:23 am »
Since this is the question forum, I'll ask the question: "What the heck has happened to the art market?"

I just got back from town, where I stopped at a local consignment auction to check out a painting that was advertised. It turned out to be an original oil painting by one of Canada's better known wildlife artists, the recently deceased Clarence Tillenius. A large folder of information on the subject and the artist compiled by the owner was included with this professionally framed piece.

There was no interest whatsoever when the auctioneer tried to sell it. I had to bid against myself to get it bought for...$85!

It makes me think that I'm just wasting money on items that apparently appeal only to myself.

Is the art market that withered and dismal everywhere? ???

mart

• View Profile
Re: OK...What's happened to art?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »
 Money that can be spent on art has certainly withered and died !! That would be mid range prices !! High end is not as bad but has taken a bit of a hit nontheless !!  Mid price range has been selling low if at all !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »
Agree with Mart, those in the mid range market are holding tighter to their monies these days...thus the market is being greatly affected.  To your benefit in the long run (if you are buying).  Sad for the sellers.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts. If I can keep affording Lipator maybe I can live long enough to recoup my investment. ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:36 pm »
In general it's a buyer's market.

Unless it's something I want... ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:09:25 pm »
I'd go along with the general belief that the art market is a bit 'soft' , but saying that , I've sold 6 units (paintings) for a bit more than 10k each so far this year ...

I certainly see a bunch of things done by listed artists , but seldom see hefty bidding/offers on landscape , animal , portraits or still-life themed paintings , both oils & w/c &/or mixed media , as of late .
There have been several exceptions to this (in the N.W. U.S & France) , esp. when a local/regional artists' work comes up for sale in the region where the artist either worked or lived .... sometimes surprisingly so .

Just a real ton of artwork that has gone 'out of fashion' has been seen by my eyes this year ; I see inflated pricing of many of these & see them being liquidated as 'lots' more often than not (private sales/estate sales) , as folk at the auctions I've been attending seem to want something else .

I do agree that it is a fine time to pick up artwork from listed artists selling in the $1000 & less price range (provided the buyer can sit on them for a few years... or a decade) .... seen a few pearls in that swine-pen !

Have not ever seen as many vintage & antique prints as have witnessed this year (sometimes with delusional 'values' put on them) .

All-in-all , Rauville , perhaps your little pearl is just waiting for the right diver to discover it !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:03:12 am »
Painting from well known schools like the Hudson River are still selling for high prices because there are a lot of buyers who still have disposable income. As said, the mid range market has collapsed and I think buying now with discrimination would be a wise investment. Art by the well known impressionists and modern artists is reaching new records for sale prices but the buyers seem to be from Asia and the Middle East.  When I lived in Florida the prices for the highwaymen were falling and I believe will go up as soon as the economy turns around.  Just an opinion, do not invest on my words please.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:14:56 am »
Unless you really know what you are doing I would stay away from art as an investment !!  Tastes change too frequently and sometimes do not recover !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
I agree that the still waters lay deep , when it comes to investing in art objects ;
sometimes deep pockets can get empty quick with big mistakes , or even from a string of little ones !
My personal taste goes to human hand-made items , as my own scale for 'true' antiques is rather stuck in the past , and art fills that criteria niche for me .

Now that geezerdom beckons me, I find that picture frames are not as hard to hoist around as other antiques ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:51 pm »
LOL !! Geezerdom aside,, Most people tend to buy art that appeals to them rather than one that will sell !! You have to put your personal taste aside sometimes if you are investing in art !!  Two things to remember when buying art to resell,,Know your subject and know your market !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:32 am »
One thing a friend of mine told me once that stuck.

"You don't overpay for art, you just bought too early"

For some reason that's stuck with me. But then again, most of the art in my house are water colors done by my wife's grandfather. Worth little on the market, but are priceless to the wife and I.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:01:55 am »
Money that can be spent on art has certainly withered and died !! That would be mid range prices !! High end is not as bad but has taken a bit of a hit nontheless !!  Mid price range has been selling low if at all !!
Great time to invest with the current Fiat currency , only the very best is selling http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art