Author Topic: old strad piano  (Read 3225 times)

jarryd1

• View Profile
old strad piano
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:29:21 am »
hi i have an old piano and was wanting some info on it dont know if anyone can help me under the lid on the key board it says the name Strad  but there are very little numbers or emblams on the piano the only serial number i can find on it is -1337  it appers to be a very old piano that once did have candlelabras on it   can ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE AGE AND WHERE IT CAME FROM......:(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:44:00 pm by jarryd1 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: old strad piano
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:02 am »
Need photos, Jarry!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:30 am »
Yep !!  Cant tell without seeing the piano and everything written on it !!

jarryd1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »
hi thank you for veiwing my post i have uploded some photos of the old girl if there there is only one number on it and u can see it in the photo 1337 thats all there is it is written under some of the keys and on the pack of the piano lid i think it was to identify all the parts that went with this piano 1337  it looks soo old i had got it of an old naighbour  and he said that he got it from a home in sydney australia  (where i live)  with verry little identifacation on the piano it like thay dident want to be remebered for making the thing lol   hope the pictures help if there is eny more i can talke let me know oooooh AND IT ONLY HAS 85 KEYS I THOUGHT MOST PIANOS HAD 88....?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:05:34 pm by jarryd1 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:40 am »
http://4tepiano.com/Articles/Why-old-piano-has-85-keys.html
Had to admit I was curious abou this too !!  Seems that the norm of 88 keys only came about in 1890 !! Before that 85 was the standard !!  Your piano is an upright and I don`t know about values where you are but here in the U.S you can`t give them away !! You might get $100. if they are perfect and in playing condition !! But to get one to that would cost a bit !! I have one in my living room now,, but wish I didn`t !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:28 pm »
I also have to say that here in "upstate" New York, you can find at least 2 or more free pianos on Craigslist each week.  Now I am not saying any of them are that old or worth anything either - frankly I don't pay that much attention - but they have a hard time even giving them away.

I would gladly take yours off your hands Mart if we were closer.  I had a piano growing up and really miss having one.  Right now - too many "I am not sure if I am keeping, selling or storing" items in my house to even think about it though.   LOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
This one was given to hubbys kids and needs tons of work !! I am seriously thinking about gutting it and making a bar out of it !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 05:27:43 am »
We've got one too. It's faced in rosewood, which I've never seen before, and was a wedding present from my wife's great grandfather to her great grandmother.

Still, it needs a ton of work and will probably never play again. And there it sits, the world's largest paperweight!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jarryd1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:47 am »
Thank you to everyone that is viewing my post I'm not really after value it was an accwired piano from a children's hospital and I'm really in the process of refurbishing it it plays beutfully I'm guessing it is from 1881 but whould love some info on where this  strad piano was made or eny info on the strad company at all :)  not really interested on what it's worth just some info about it :) again thankyou to everyone viewing my post..... :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:01 am »
http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=857
Don`t think this is yours as different numbers but here is a forum with a question about a Strad piano also in Au. From what is said by the expert there it was possibly made in Scotland !! You can read the Q&A above !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 12:49:21 am »
Be happy you're only stuck with an upright. I love my wife. I really do. Once we actually buy our own home and not this rental crap, her piano comes down from her mom's house.

It's a baby grand.

As to the original question, it's one of dozens of old pre-war piano manufacturers. I'm not an expert, but I doubt it's worth more than $100-$200 these days.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:12:43 am »
Most pianos have a plate inside/behind the wires/hammers with dates of manufacturer, etc.  Yours doesn't have that?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!