Author Topic: Vintage US Navy Serving Tray  (Read 3240 times)

ACStanley

Vintage US Navy Serving Tray
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »
I picked up this tray about a month back now, and have not been able to find anything like it, and am having a hard time dating it...

It measures:

L 19 1/2"
W 11 1/2"

Weighs

2 lbs 1 oz

I am a big fan of TCM and have seen these in old movies, but always silver plate, and those movies are in the 50s and 60s Serving trays like this were used in the captains quarters.

I spoke to a few gentlemen at my local flea-market they seemed to think that it was from the 30s or 40s

I am unsure when copper was most used (im assuming this would help me date it) and would also love any thoughts on value.

Thanks everyone!

ACStanley

Re: Vintage US Navy Serving Tray
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »
Additional photos.

ACStanley

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:49:02 pm »
Although I believe obvious from the pictures, I failed to mention that this tray is copper.

ACStanley

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
I just wanted to give this a bump, Im still having a difficult time with it....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:18 am »
Since copper is known for it's conductivity, I wonder if this wasn't specifically a warming tray.  The "patent applied for" makes me think 20s-50s as a date.

I've never seen anything like this before, so I can't give a good value, but I'd say at around $40-$50 at least, just for the copper alone ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

ACStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »
I did not know that about "patent applied for"... Good to know. Thank you. The only thing that puts me away from warming tray is the fact the the handles are copper as well, I would think that they would be made of something else, to allow easy pick up, but, I'm not sure...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:11 pm »
I haven`t found anything similar,, only stainless or plate !!  USN does have a museum,, have you looked there ??

ACStanley

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »
Hmmm... They have a website? I'm gonna have to check that out!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »

ACStanley

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »
Perfect im getting ready to write to a curator at one near me... Thanks for the tip!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »
Let us know !!

ACStanley

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04:10 pm »
So, I have already wrote him, but im assuming that he gets lots of emails, any suggestions on for writing future curators on how to stand out and seem legit so that I can increase my odds of getting a reply?

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
I'm sure you are already aware of this, but the "Fouled Anchor USN" marking was generally used for the Wardroom Officers Mess. Probably fewer available than the Enlisted Mess trays.

ACStanley

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
Nope! I had no idea... Im not even sure what you mean by that... lol... im doing some research right now. Thanks so much!

ACStanley

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 08:30:20 pm »
Okay, so im not to sure about my tray, I mean im pretty sure that its old, but, I cant find any other Fouled Anchors with the rope wrapping from the left to the right, The ones that I am seeing are all going from the right to the left...

Also just read this...

"Fouled Anchor: The fouled anchor is a Naval symbol of an anchor with a chain wrapped around it or "fouled" (an "unfouled anchor" would be one that is not entangled in its chain). The fouled anchor has long been the symbol of the Chief Petty Officer. In terms of the Chief, the fouled anchor symbolizes the trials and tribulations that every Chief Petty Officer must endure on a daily basis.

The "USN" stands for Unity, Service and Navigation, symbolizing the Unity of the CPO Mess, the undaunted Service to God and country of each and every Chief Petty Officer and the Navigation that the Chief is expected to provide to each Sailor, each Navy ship and the entire Navy."

I thought USN was United States Navy... Yikes.. The further I dig, the further I get from an answer...