Author Topic: Any one good at dating glassware?  (Read 3422 times)

ACStanley

Any one good at dating glassware?
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:02:19 pm »
I have a set of eight of these and am having a very hard time dating them.

What I do know:

There is a seam running down both sides
The seam does run to the bottom but not through the bottom
The glass has a wavy look to it
The rim is rippled 
There are bubbles in the glass
The bottom although not symmetrical it is smooth

So im assuming that they were blown into a form, but between the color, bubbles, how the bottom is attached and a lack of pontil im not sure where this puts me with a date.

Thanks everyone!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Any one good at dating glassware?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
That slight irridescence says they are probably late 70`s or 80`s !! Are they highball size ??  Probably blown in mold,, they did a lot like that !!  Wendy is the one for glass !! See what she says !!
Forgot to say,, when blown in mold they put an extra glob of glass in the bottom, then the rest was added, that gave extra weight to the bottom, should be a circular seam, sort of, around the base !!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:20:52 pm by mart »

ACStanley

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:28:21 pm »
Wow! I would have guessed older by the glass, but the design says 60s-70s Very interesting about the bottom, I didnt know that. They are more of a lowball style.

H 3 3/4"
W Mouth 2 1/2"
W Widest 3 3/4"
W Base 1 3/4"

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:16:04 pm »
My highball glasses are 3 1/2 in. tall !! So thats what you have !!

ACStanley

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »
ahahaha... I thought to myself, "no way! they are deff lowball glasses!" I looked online, Highball glass - 10-14oz Lowball glass - 4-10oz... using a shot glass, I fit 12oz in the glass.. lol you are correct.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:30:47 pm »
LOL !! To tell the truth I had never heard of a lowball !! Or I should say,, lowball glass !!

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »
LOL - Yeah I think the size goes - Shot - Cordial - Lowball - Highball

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »
I will take your word for it !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
Nice going mart !!  :D  definitely 70's, definitely blown in mold, and I can clearly see the circular seam around the base with added weight !!

ACStanley

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »
Fantastic! Thank you =) Could you please tell me what the dead give away for the 70s? That way I dont have to ask about 70s blown glass again. You guys are wonderful BTW... Im glad that I found this forum!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:14 am »
Sometimes it is very hard to tell old glass from glass produced in Mexico by traditional methods. I found the best thing to do is to pick up glass items and get a feel for them. There's something in the touch that is very subtle and hard to define, but you know it when you feel it. Go to antique shops, and ask about this piece or that and ask to hold it. Antique shops are a good place to learn and the proprietors are usually happy to chat with you!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ACStanley

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:38 am »
Yes, you are correct. I need to work on building my local connections. I am still quite wet behind the ears when it comes to Antiques and Vintage items, I feel that I have a grasp in my specific area, but I thirst for more knowledge, and as you said, getting out and talking to experts, and touching and smelling items, doing some old school foot work, is what I need to expand myself into... I love going to auctions, and talking to people there, but the attitudes can be quite competitive if you know what I mean...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:59:36 pm »
From about 1900 to 1940 many things went through phases about every 20 years give or take a few !! About 1940 that time period started getting shorter,, down to about 10 years !! 40 to 50 then 50 to 60 ect !! You find a similarity that is rather common to most items as well as color that was used !!  Just look at a bunch of stuff through the time periods and compare the similarities,, they might be subtle but eventually you will get the hang of it !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »
I can tell that most of you don't drink. That is a stemless snifter used for drinking brandy and whiskey neat.

ACStanley

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »
Frogpatch, that makes a lot of sense with the wide bottom, I never thought of that... Awesome! I know what glass im drinking out of tonight! =)