Author Topic: Horses  (Read 2267 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Horses
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
First I want to apologize for the pictures.  It is a rainy Friday night so indoors for me and as we know the lighting in my house is terrible.  The other thing that's crazy is that when I am taking pictures inside  I always get a shake and don't when outside.  Nuts I know  LOL

Decided to go through another box tonight and came across these 2 horse statues that I would like to  know more about.  I can take better pics tomorrow if needed.

The large horse appears to be cast bronze?  Reminds me of my bronzed baby shoes anyway and it is hollow as you might be able to see from the pics of the legs and tail.

It measures 8" high and 11" from tail to nose.

I am interested of course in dating this and if there is any value.

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Horses
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:43 pm »
Is it normal for bronze to dull like that in places or am I totally off the mark on this?

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »
Smaller horse is very heavy and I am thinking brass but it is pretty dull so not sure.  Looks handcrafted and I am not sure if you can see that in the blurry pic.

It measures 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:49 pm »
Any chance you're come across a clock that appears to be missing 'something'?   ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:16:49 am »
I know exactly what these are! These were carnival prizes back in the 1960's. There used to be a horse race carnival game where you raced a mechanized horse against other competitors around a track. The winner would get a little horse, and you could play again and if you won, trade it in for a larger horse, trade that in for a metal one, and work your way up to that one with the clock. I haven't seen these in years, but I remember them well! As a horse nut, I always wanted to win horses!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:26:32 am »
Awesome info Tales! Thats so much better that oh such and such company sold them in the 60s... I love Carnivals! and that makes this clock all that much more awesome now!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 07:41:44 am »
Thanks everyone - this is why I love this group!!!  I would have never thought about carnival souvenirs.  Ok so yes the larger one absolutely seems to match that and any that i have found.  Question is where the bronze looks so black - mostly on the back - is that something that can be cleaned or is it just time damaged?

I am going to try to get better pics today of the small horse - if the rain holds out long enough.  Maybe that was a souvenir as well but it is definitely not cast - can see underneath and around the legs where it was hand crafted.  And it is solid - weighs twice what the larger one weighs.  I think it's brass although pretty dull.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:53:43 am »
Larger and smaller ones could be bought at any five and dime !! I had a few since I was a horse nut !!  Woolworths had them !! Came in brass or bronze finish !! 

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 08:51:50 am »
Thanks Mart - any suggestions on cleaning or should they be left the way they are?  I still want to post better pics later for appearances   ;D