Author Topic: antique paper weight, gold or brass?  (Read 1268 times)

tonif

• View Profile
antique paper weight, gold or brass?
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »
Please help! How can I tell if an antique paper weight that was passed down to me from my grandfather who found it many years ago in an old house that he was reconstructing, is gold or brass?  I pressed a pin in it and it did leave an impression, so it is soft. That much I know. : ) Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:18:26 pm by tonif »

ACStanley

Re: antique paper weight, gold or brass?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »
Simply take it to a local jeweler, they will be able to tell you for sure in a matter of minutes. A pawn shop would be able to help you as well.

Good luck,

-Adam

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »
A quick do-it-yourself test is to rub a corner of the object between your fingers, and smell your fingers. If you smell anything...it's not gold.

(Otherwise, you can do a weight / density test. Just weigh the water the object displaces against the weight of the actual object. I can't remember exactly, but gold will weigh something like 19x the weight of the water, while brass will be be like 8.5x.)

ACStanley

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:46:40 pm »
Rauville - The density test! I had no idea, very cool!

tonif

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:57:47 pm »
It has a felt bottom, but I think I can put it in a ziplock bag. Are there any other metals that are soft other than brass? I also tried the magnet and it didn't stick. Thank you!!