Author Topic: Grandmothers Ring  (Read 1210 times)

Stephanie29

• View Profile
Grandmothers Ring
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:03:42 am »
Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of some help regarding my grandmothers ring. It has a 14K gold band with a four pronged high setting. Inside the four pronged square silver box is a circle that has a 6 pointed star or flower inside. It has 7 specs that look like diamonds. Also underneath the setting it is hollow. It is probably costume jewelry but I just wanted to make sure, because if it an antique I don't want to wear everyday and damage it. Thanks for your help!!!

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Grandmothers Ring
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:42:37 am »
With a 14 k gold band and the looks of your ring I would say it is the real deal and an antique, This piece is not costume jewelry, They did not make costume out of  14k gold. I would even bet the diamonds are real, But you need to take it to a local jeweler & have a hands on inspection. Beautiful piece!!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:23 am »
I don't believe that if the band is 14K (I'm assuming that it is stamped that) that it's costume jewelry.  The setting, from your photo, doesn't appear to be yellow gold, maybe white gold.  Do the "specks" appear to be diamonds or some other precious stones?  Looks to me like it may be circa 1900 or before but some of our members with jewelry experience could probably more closely determine that.

Stephanie29

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:39 am »
Thank you so much for replying. The specks do appear to be diamonds. I tried to post a picture of the ring from a side angle but it won't allow me to do so. Underneath the setting is open inside with the four prongs. Sorry if my explaining is making it more confusing! I have tried to do some research online about the ring but I am finding absolutely nothing. Thanks again for any help anyone can give me!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:58 am »
My grandmother gave me one similar to this.  It was the first ring she ever purchased with her own money - which was a REALLY BIG THING back in that time.   This style was very popular as a fashion ring in the 20's to 30's - diamond rings at an affordable price.  Some are gold only and others have enameling work on them. They are seen in white gold and yellow gold - the more rare are in platinum.  They are usually referred to as a Deco or Dinner Ring.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!