Author Topic: frames that look like a cage.  (Read 2839 times)

chigato

• View Profile
frames that look like a cage.
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:21:07 pm »
Hi, I don't know what happened but I don't see the post related to the pic I posted. So here it goes again. My friend was at an estate clean-out of an old building that is coming down on the northside of chicago. He salvaged 2 VERY old picture frames that look like cages. They were very sooty and we cleaned them the best we could. Unfortunately, one of them had a print in it , but it disintegrated. It was a print of a painting of a lion lying down. It looked like an image of a lion that was from the 1800's. Long curly locks. The frame is roughly 3' x 4' and is solid oak, including the fake hinges. There are copper tacks at the top and bottom of each bar, made to look like rivets. I've searched everywhere on the internet but can't find a thing about them . One collector said that it's not something that someone would have hung in their home. So we're thinking that perhaps they came from a zoo. Lincoln park zoo is not far away from here. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. As always, Thank you all.

mart

• View Profile
Re: frames that look like a cage.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »
Very well could have been from a zoo display or circus !! I have never seen one like it !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »
Good guess on the zoo. These were clearly custom-made specialty items.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:08 pm »
Actually I have seen quite a few in my time come through the auction house I work at, mainly they had a poster of a lion in it, they are very valuable, I've seen them go from $400 to $3000 for the larger ones, they are from the turn of the century. Very cool to find the frame still intact but unfortunately without the picture it will not be worth as much.

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:08 pm »
Are you looking to sell it? It looks worn on the right side in the picture, is some of the finish missing?

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »
I found one online, the fame is not as unique or bowed out at like yours but just to give an idea of what a complete one looks like:

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/362065

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
Thanks for posting that !! I had never seen one !! Learned something new !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:50:13 am »
Yes thanks antiquesnsuch  for the info really cool piece, chigato start looking for original lion posters (dating to the correct time) to place in back !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:16 am »
A longshot, but worth it!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

chigato

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:28 pm »
I TRIED LOOKING ON EBAY FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTERS BUT HAVEN'T FOUND ANY YET. The lighter area on the side of the frame is where I scrubbed a bit more vigorously and got the soot off. ( or went through the finish). Thanks for all your help. Now if I only can dig out that old Lionel sewing machine to get some pics of it. I can't find anything on that thing either.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »
Touch up that frame, if its the finish, with a little Old English Dark Oil,, might two or three applications just on the light area !!  It will make the frame look good just to use it as a polish !!  Wipe on, let sit a few minutes, wipe off excess !! Less than $5.00 !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:12 pm »
Agree with Mart.

Would be fun to put some good humored relatives or friends pics in it!  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!