Author Topic: deer figurine  (Read 4572 times)

trichards

• View Profile
Re: deer figurine
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »
The cut marks behind the antlers are part of the carving process.  The surfaces that are seen are polished to eliminate the cut marks.  That would be true if it was an original piece.  A molded piece would carry those marks too but would also have seams where the mold was fitted together.  Those seams would either be in evidence or would have to be polished away.  There are no seams on this piece. 
If this piece is a molded piece of resin, shouldn't there be others like it?  Has anyone ever seen a figurine like this?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »
Are you by any chance in California ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »
First I have a large resin piece (for about 20 years now) made in China and I have yet to find a piece just like it , I have seen many figures like this not deer but many other animals here are 2 examples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Resin-Black-Jaguar-Panther-lg-figurine-statue-/320734977408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad4b5d80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HORSE-STALLION-Sculpture-Statue-Animal-Home-Decoration-BLACK-Resin-NEW-450-/280939601953?pt=Art_Sculpture&hash=item41694e2021

As bigwull suggested scrape (cut) a tiny amount from a hidden spot & put a flame (outside in a safe manner) to it if it melts question answered.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:50:21 pm by wendy177 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
Or do the hot pin test !!  And as Wendy and I can tell you,, it really doesn`t matter if you have the only one like it in existance,,that will not make it valuable to any great extent !! In order for an item like that to be of great value there needs to be a collector base, past sales records and a signature to prove who made it !!  Some items are so unique and are limited in number that even without a signature it can be attributed to a single person !! Like furniture for example which is rarely signed but when you see enough of that style,, you know who made it !!  But without that its still just a piece of old furniture and isn`t worth near as much !!   I know you want it to be an expensive and rare piece but I wouldn`t hold my breath if I were you !!  Still its a nice piece with a bit of a deco look and would good on anyones shelf !!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:26:37 pm by mart »

trichards

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 09:25:50 am »
I want to thank everyone for their help.  I was interested in knowing more about the figurine.  I intend to keep the piece.  I was not trying to establish a value.  And, no, I am not in California.  I live in Kentucky.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
Was just curious !! Found several items with materials similar to yours that were made in northern CA !!