Author Topic: another impulse buy,  (Read 4340 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
another impulse buy,
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:46 pm »
Here,s another impulse buy,...but this one i,ve had for many years,...my ex-wife hated it,as she thought it was evil....to me its beautiful,..it measures 36in long x 20in wide x 1/12in thick,the wood is American Sycamore,and it bears the signature of I. Mcguire 89
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ACStanley

Re: another impulse buy,
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:26:45 pm »
Well it is certainly Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse but I know nothing of the artist. Very neat piece though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »
Religious, good craftsmanship.  Would take a specific buyer (very specific) (uh...kinda like you) to buy it!  :)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:38:48 am »
Yeah, the 4 horsemen....looks like biker art.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:46:58 am »
yeah you are correct,when i first saw it,....it was WOW, i must have that,...I paid £250 for it,in 1990,...which was quite a bit of money 20 odd years ago,...as far as i,m aware, there is not another like it anywhere,..not of this size,...which make,s me feel very pleased with myself,..I once harboured a thought,of making a silicone mould of it and having it cast in bronze resin,..then selling the them on....but then thought to myself,...this original would lose its uniqueness,....so i never did,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:50:16 am »
Yeah, the 4 horsemen....looks like biker art.
Biker art????..........I,ve been a Biker for 45 years, but i never saw this as biker art....but!...you never know,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:56 am »
Weeeeelllll.....apo calypse, drama, it seems to go well with what some consider to be the biker ethos, although the steeds are flesh rather than iron.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04:22 am »
It wouldn't devalue your piece to make castings of it...that happens all the time!  In fact, it could make your piece worth more being the original!

You paid a 'pretty penny' for this back then!!!!!  Don't know as it is worth that much now unless you know the artist....but with it being specialized....you might.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »
Thanks KC,..its food for thought,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »
Careful with making copies of someone elses work and selling them !!  Could cost you a lawsuit and all your profit !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »
More food for thought....but having already discussed this with a friend of mine,he pointed out...that if i were to make a mould of this,...and the artists name was blanked out then..technically.. the copy would be a different one..from the original,...i,ll look into this

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 07:03:45 pm »
Sorry to burst your bubble but doesn`t work like that for art,, any kind of art !!  Chances the creator has photos of his work, with or without the sig, its still his work !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 07:31:43 pm »
I was thinking it didn't have a signature....re read that one...it does.  Forget what I said previously.

Now, if there isn't a signature it is debatable....It was his work....but if there isn't any way to trace back or get rights - it can be done with minor alterations to the original design because it is not longer the same item~~

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »
Over the past few days, I have been scouring the internet,trying to find the artist, who made this carving,...and I found him...a lot closer to home,than i at first thought,..whilst i was in Dundee...a city on the east coast of Scotland,I went into a bar,and on a wall in this bar were some bronze resin relief pictures  with the signature,I.Mcguire,i asked the proprietor about them,and he informed me that they were copies of the wooden originals that he had bought from the artist,I told him that i had an original woodcarving,with the same signature,and that I was trying to track him down,..the proprietor was able to give me the address of the woodcarvers studio and tel,number,...I phoned him,and then went to his studio,and he is the woodcarver,...He was very interested in what i had to say,and we had a long conversation about the 4 Horseman...and he showed me a picture catalogue of many of his works including my 4 Horseman,He asked me what I,d paid for it, and I told him,and he told me that this was the same amount,that he,d sold it for in 1989,...I also learned from him, that he had done works for for The Church of Scotland...and quite a few famous people...including the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother,..Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer,..to name but a few,...I am meeting up with him again next week,to discuss a picture that i would like carved,..its actually an album cover from the Graham Edge Band...Kick of your Muddy boots....i,ll let you know how i get on....

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »
How cool and he does wonderful work!! Please be sure to post photos of your completed piece!! Does he have an online site?? would love to see more of what he has done!