Author Topic: What is this? It is Sterling Silver is all I know. :)  (Read 5665 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
What is this? It is Sterling Silver is all I know. :)
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:27:37 am »
Hello Everyone! I hope everyone has a nice weekend! I am not sure how this guy who sold us a lot of boxes missed this item in the boxes, but he did. He claims they are boxes he did not go through. He buys from estate sales and estate auctions and buys for his local shop. He sold us some surprise boxes.  Anyway this item was down inside one of the boxes (along with a bunch of wedgewood plates and saucers and such).  We do not know what it is. However it is marked Sterling Silver.

Hoping one of you all can identify it. It is very tarnished. It looks old to us.

Thanks so much ahead of time. :)

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
Re: What is this? It is Sterling Silver is all I know. :)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:36 am »
We wonder if it might be a part of something. The ball on the end has a hole in it.  The handle at the end is hollow (has a hole too).

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:34:08 am by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Neil221

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:56:51 am »
Hi,

After 24 years in the Royal Navy, it looks like an old style Bosuns call used for piping the routines and ceremonial occasions on-board warships.

hope that helps :-)

Regards
Neil

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:06:41 am »
Wow! Good call! Thank you so so much! I was amazed, when I just blew on the end of it and it whistled! That is very cool!

Thanks again!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:02 am »
Again, very cool! I keep blowing on it! Also, another question: It is better to clean the tarnish off or keep it on for the old look? Should we keep it the way it is or buy some tarnish remover?

Thanks again!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Some people like the tarnish, but most (including me) would rather buy clean silver. Also, polished silver holds its value better.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:11 am »
Thanks Neil221 for chiming in on this one !! I have never seen one before !!  Silver wasn`t meant to be left in a tarnished and dirty looking state !! Clean it !!  Nice find !!

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »
all the dents / marks will show if cleaned but would clean ! value in UK would be £159-200
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:27:27 am »
This is a very personal decision as you can tell.  If the seller can forsee that an item is in Excellent condition then they polish to sell.  If it is uncertain then most top sellers do not polish.  It also helps with the intrigue of age to show that it is older and usually helps with the bidding frenzy!  So, personal decision on your part!

As for personal belongings....I would polish it up.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:25:53 am »
Hi, I am sorry...that I have not replied sooner to the responses to my questions. I really appreciate the input. I have had some rough days and have not been on too much. I really appreciate the input on it from everyone. :) I will buy some polish remover and try cleaning it up. We have this silver lightning plates I bought but I have to tell you that it just has not worked for us. I am going to buy something much better. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:08 am »
Sorry you are having a rough time !! Hope it gets better for you !!  What are silver lightening plates??  Something to clean it with ??  if you just need cleaner try ketchup plus a tsp baking soda ??  dip a cloth in the ketchup and touch it on the soda and scrub gently with a soft cloth !! then wash, dry and buff to shine !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:44:36 am »
Mart, if I am correct the Lightening plates being sold are aluminum and and then you place your silver on top of the aluminum,  add hot water/ baking soda to cover the tarnished silver and the chemical reaction eats away the tarnish (and the silver).  (People can do this with simple aluminum foil that they use in the kitchen!)

It is okay to use...but it eats away your silver and your silverplate is thin enough!  Not recommended by silver lovers.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

iCollect

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »
I personally hate polished silver, unless its a display piece or ceremonious piece. Small curios however remained tarnished in this household. You may find after cleaning this, the dents become very much more noticeable. Having said that I would sell in its condition its in now. That way there are no doubts about its age.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:46:03 pm »
Mart, if I am correct the Lightening plates being sold are aluminum and and then you place your silver on top of the aluminum,  add hot water/ baking soda to cover the tarnished silver and the chemical reaction eats away the tarnish (and the silver).  (People can do this with simple aluminum foil that they use in the kitchen!)

It is okay to use...but it eats away your silver and your silverplate is thin enough!  Not recommended by silver lovers.

oh !!  like with the tide washing powder !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:31 pm »
How do you clean silver with Tide?